Week #45 ~ Cluck Old Hen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is a simple Old-Time Tune. It apparently is also a song, with words, for those who'd like to attempt that!

Here's Allison Krauss & Sierra Hull

Here's one of the strangest video settings I've seen!

Here's a link with lyrics & a sound clip of song

There are apparently an endless supply of lyrics, just google cluck old hen, and find the ones you like!

Here's a link to Cluck Old Hen on www.thesession.org (I didn't expect to find it there!)

Here's the ABC from thesession

X: 1
    T: Cluck Old Hen
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: barndance
    K: Ador
    |: e2ae g2ag|e2ae d2dd| e2ae g2ag| edc2 A2AA :|
    |: A2A2 [c4e4] |A2A2 [G4B4]| A2AA cAcd| edc2 A2AA :|

Here's another variation in standard notation

There's a bunch of stuff on Cluck on Hen here (scroll down to find it)

That ought to be enough to get ya'll started!
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here are the SN and TABs version

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1267807207

mc

love that video, 11 year Sierra Hull showin' ya how it's Done,,,,,,SON!!
    sorry, was that TOO much bluegrassy?
  3. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    This was real fun to do! Nothing serious here, just messing around! lol

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle.... I LOVE it!!! Last week, you posted in a sweatshirt... this week, in your rodeo duds..... nice to see you without your shirt & tie!
  5. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I don't wear a shirt and tie all the time Barbara! lol just on Church days.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine... I already knew this, we play it in A, so I thought I'd do a little 'arrangement' and do it in D and A, etc...

7. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Nice stuff you guys!
    This is one I voted for. I play a small contra dance now and again (badly-and mostly rhythm on guitar) and I also contra dance a lot. These old time tunes can be terrific at a dance. The thing about a contra dance is that you often have to play a tune 8 or 10 times through at speed - maybe 110 or 120. These sweet little old time tunes can start to get terribly repetitive in that sort of environment. In a two tune set those poor dancers might be listening to that melody for 5-7 minutes. So, the key is to vary things a LOT and to provide interesting back up and lots of dynamics. I can't do it - yet. I'm just trying to get the basic melody down at a moderate speed - maybe 80 or 90. But I know there are folks here that can! I'm thinking of Old Sausage for one! This tune can rock - witness Alison and friends! I wonder if you could back this one up with a reggae rhythm or maybe a Motown thing?
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my version.

9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    What a great version, David! Really nice feel/flavor to it.
  10. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's a clawhammer style banjo version of this old mountain tune. I'm still working up a mandolin version. Tom

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hi Tom, good to see you! You play that banjo right nice! Our band plays this tune, and we've got a great clawhammer banjo player, too... so this is how I'm used to hearing this tune played, loud, right in my ear!
  12. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Tom,
    That's great!
    Joe
  13. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Good Job everyone!
    Tom I really liked that clawhammer banjo playing. I am thinking about trying to take up the banjo, and songs like this want you to play even more!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I love banjos! I don't think I could learn to play a 5 string, though!
  15. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    My hat's off to you, Tom. I borrowed a banjo and tried to learn how to play clawhammer style and I gave up. Your playing on Cluck Old Hen sounds mighty fine.
  16. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Nice playing everyone, especially the tenor guitar and the banjer pickin. I love clawhammer pickin and that sounded great!! I'll have my version up in a day or two.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    This tune cries out for a banjer... I'll give it a shot on a TB...
  18. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Here is the simple version as posted in the ABC.
    I'd like to learn a more advanced version.
    I like the banjo version.

19. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Thanks for all of the positive feedback on my banjo version. It's one of the first banjo tunes I learned many years ago. Here's a version played on the mandolin. Tom

20. Eddie Sheehy
    Another banjer version...

21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice work by everyone above.

I didn't know this one. It almost drove me crazy having to jump back and forth after every 4th measure and I always crashed at the jumps. So I finally got down and wrote these 34 measures out one after the other.

Rob G., Sorry, but I couldn't play this for 5-7 minutes.
    I am so glad I got through accident-free twice at a moderate tempo:

22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Ain't no banjo and it ain't no mandolin but my wife claims this banjo-mandolin is 'mildly annoying' so that's why i recorded this while she is at work. After hearing all of your versions i'm embarassed to post this,,, AND, I realize i'm a bit twisted, but i just had to do this as a blues tune, WUWT??

mc
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mandfred & Michael... both great ones! Oh, and you, too, Eddie, I said it before, you play that banjo like you've been playing one for years...have you?
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    Thank's Barb. No I haven't, but it's a nice mix of Tenor Guitar and OM...
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I love my TB! But, I love my OM as well.... just need a tenor guitar to love, now!
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    I thought you had a Tenor?
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I have a tenor banjo (well, 2 of them) and I've got a Soares Y baby tenor guitar with 8 strings, strung like an OM, that I got as a beater for when I travel. I do have a tenor guitar being made for me though, which should be ready soon!
  28. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    I thought I'd catch up on some of the tunes now that I've built up a little courage. I'm really glad this tune came up, as I really like it now that I've learned it. I'm recording directly to my iMac camera and mic on Old Wave #147.

Eric
  29. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was very good. I am going to steal your version. The Old Wave sounds fantastic as well.
  30. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Hey, BlueMt, ya don't need courage 'cause you got some serious Chops! very neat arraingment.

mc
  31. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thank you, gentlemen. David, I also really enjoyed your arrangement; very smooth. Michael, Your blues version was also very entertaining.

This is a fun group.

Eric
  32. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Man, that is sweet. When I hear your Old Wave I think your playing an old Gibson oval. Sounds remarkably similar. Really nice.
  33. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thanks! Rob. I traded one of my blues guitars for the Old Wave and have no regrets. I hope they won't ban me from the Blues Shack when they find out.

Eric
  34. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Your secret is safe with me.
    Your Old Wave has piqued my interest. I'm beginning to think that the key for me in oval holes is the short neck ata Gibson. Seems like every new build I hear with that short neck has the kind of tone I like. That is one very nice Old Wave you've got.
    One of these days I'm going to work at some blues on mando. I've been all Celtic, Old Time and a little BG lately. I miss those 7ths and 9ths etc.
  35. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Better late than never. Ignore the random key change toward the end. LOL

36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That was cool! Sometimes when I'm practicing certain tunes that just fall right, I'll just go up or down the scale, and play the tune in different keys...
  37. Susanne
    Susanne
    I really liked that!!!
  38. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice playing everyone, here's my go:

39. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Oh yea. That's it. Great stuff OS. Love it.
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS!!!! Where've you been? It's been forever since you've posted here! Glad you're back!!!! This was great, as always! Makes my version sound like chopsticks!
  41. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Fantastic, OS!! i'm thinking i shoulda waited for the Sierra Hull Tutorial DVD b4 i posted

mc
  42. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much guys. Adam Steffey does a great tutorial on this tune on his Acutab DVD as well. Barbara, I've been all around the world since I last posted here - not as glamorous as it sounds, especially as I was sick most of the time. Plus I had no mando It's very good to be back.
  43. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Excellent as usual David, good to have you back.
  44. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing, OS, and so glad to have you back!
  45. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Same here, OS.
    I had already considered writing you a PM and asking you whether you had left the group.
    Glad to hear the familiar sounds again
  46. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    When I looked this one up in the Fiddler's Fakebook, it said tune AEAE. Well, I like GDGD better and this seemed like the kind of tune that would be fun in crosstuning. So here it is in GDGD on St. Paddy's day.

47. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Nice. What is your mando? I like it.
  48. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice one Don, very bluegrassy.
  49. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Very nice Don. I like it in crosstuning. And that Gil shines as usual. Of course the player has a lot to do with that!
  50. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Yea, every time I hear that mando I like it and then someone reminds me what it is which explains why.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast