Week #44 ~ King of the Faeries (hornpipe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The winner this week was a hornpipe, King of the Faeries / King of the Fairies. This is a new one for me!

I found a lengthy discussion about this on www.thesession.org

This is the ABC that is listed there:

X: 1
    T: King Of The Fairies
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Edor
    |:B,2|EDEF GFGA|B2B2 G2GA|B2E2 EFGE|FGFE D2B,2|
    |EDEF GFGA|BAGB d3c|B2E2 GFE_E|E6 :|
    |:d2|e2e2 Bdef|gagf e3f|e2B2 BABc|dedc BcdB|
    |e2B2 Bdef|gagf efed|Bdeg fedf|e6 ef|
    |g3e f3d|edBc d3e|dBAF GABc|dBAF GFED|
    |B,2E2 EFGA|B2e2 edef|e2B2 BAGF|E6:|

But, I tried it, and then did some more investigating, and found this ABC in the discussion part:

X:1
    T: King of the Fairies
    M:C
    L:1/8
    K: Em
    B|EDEF GFGA|B2B2 G2GA|B2E2 EFGE|FGFE D2B2|
    EDEF GFGA|BAGB d3c|B2E2 GFED|E4 E3 :|
    |B2|e2B2 Bdef|gagf e3f|e2B2 BAGB|dedc Bcde/f/|
    e2B2 Bdef|gagf e3d|Bde/f/g fedf|e2 ed e3f|
    g2bg f2af|edB^c d3e|dBAF GAB^c|dBAF GFED|
    B,2E2 EFGA|B2e2 edef|e2B2 BAGF|E4 E2z2||
    efed B2B2|efed B2B2|fgaf d2d2|fgaf d2ga|
    b2gb a2fa|g2eg f3d|edef gfed|e2f2g3f|
    efed B2B2|efed B3c|dcBA cBAG|FGAF D2EF|
    GFGA BABd|edef g2e2|dcBA BAGF| E4 E3||

Here is TAB on mandolin cafe's tablature

And another TAB from mandolin cafe

Here's a link to the search for King of the Fairies on mandozine.com, that results in one TablEdit file.

And I liked this YouTube video, where it's being played on a fiddle:

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Thx Barbara, here are the TABS from Sessions

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...7&d=1267203044

mc
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's an interesting rendition...
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    And a Classic... A Rave from the Grave... A Blast from the Past...

5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    May be a classic, Eddie, but I'm thinking 'Spinal Tap' on a roof in Cork

mc
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, thanks for posting those completely different versions of this tune! Are one of you guys gonna emulate the bass guitar player in the second and have their shirt open to your waist???

Hornpipes sound great on tenor banjos.... hope we get some versions on one!
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I'm almost done restoring my banjo-mandolin so that maybe close?. But the shirt thing?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Maybe the ladies in the group can do a video in their 'jamies but just the thought of this old man...... OMG thanks a lot for putting THAT image in my brain, Barbara.

mc
    <now i can't stop laughing>
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    I think that Bertram would look good open-shirted...
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Yeah, he's got the scowl down pat, an open shirt would go just fine!
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I'm confused... I've been reading all over, like in Wikipedia, etc and can't get a handle on these songs, Is the difference between a hornpipe vs reel vs jig and so on only the time signature? what i've managed to glean is it is related to the Dance that is done to the music not the tempo but that doesn't seem to make sense either. any hints on where to look or how to tell the diff would be greatly appreciated
    BTW waltz and O'Carolan i got
    THX
    mc
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I can't answer about the dancing part, but a jig is 6/8 time signature, a slip jig is 9/8 signature & a slide is 12/8 signature. They sound different because of their time signature. The difference between a reel and a hornpipe is hard to tell from simple notation, because hornpipes are usually 'dotted' but to simplify notation, aren't usually notated dotted. So, a reel and a hornpipe LOOK the same on paper. You can play reels as hornpipes (slower and dotted) and you can play hornpipes as blazing fast reels, if you wish.

Just my opinion... maybe someone else can answer more correctly!
  12. willh
    willh
    For a tutorial on the rhythms visit McConnell's at: http://sites.google.com/site/irishmusicrhythms/

He has a demonstration of each of the basic rhythms in Irish Traditional Music. It is a combination of time signature and emphasis on certain beats in a measure.

Will
  13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Thanks. that clears it up a bit ,,, i'm still new to this type of music and sometimes they sound quite alike, or maybe it's th' Guinness ?? <just kidding>

cool web site, will
    mc
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I got to thinking about the open shirt thing.... you could do it like the olympic skaters... have a shirt with flesh colored fabric really covering up your real flesh, and just have it LOOK like a shirt open to the waist!
  15. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I may be mistaken but don't most hornpipes also end (at least on the A parts) with 2 quarter notes? If I'm right then that can help one discern a reel vs. hornpipe.
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Do you guys see me?
    I can't see the Youtube picture or link.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nope, you're not there. It's probably a problem with the new program installed this morning. When you posted it, did you do it using the YouTube icon in the message pane?
  18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, Barbara, I used the usual Icon, but it obviously didn't work.

Now I have edited the post and used the "Insert video" Icon and you can see the result above.
  19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's a slightly different setting. iMovie has this interesting little effect called "fairy dust". I couldn't resist. You'll see it about half way through.

20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    For better or worse: here is another try with Youtube embedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3x66jOh34

21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great renditions, both you guys! Both of you really were getting into the music, swaying, David you were almost dancing! Manfred, your video has a big empty space between your text and the video, but your youtube video is larger than David's. They are still trying to work out the bugs with the new software!
  22. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I'm still trying to get back to not being camera shy. I recorded this so many times and this is the best I could do. This is on my iPhone. I found that I get the best sound recording on my iPhone rather than my digital camera. So here it is with a bunch of mistakes.

23. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Kyle,
    That sounds great! Well done.
    Joe
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lots of interesting stuff here already - David's nice and easy as usual.

I have been playing this tune a lot 20 years ago, when we used to start slow and then speed it up with every round. In our recent session world, it has undergone some renaming by a fiddler who used to call it "King of the Ferries", and I said why waste time, just call it "MacBrayne's".

Following Eddie's incentive with the Horslips' version, I play this on my "strat"

25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was awesome! Super cool on that instrument!

Kyle, you didn't seem camera shy, and I hardly noticed any mistakes! Even though you can't really see your picking hand, it's obvious you have a good steady rhythm going! I agree, video wise, your iphone gave the best quality!
  26. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Kyle, your tone and technique have improved so much from when you started posting on the SAW. You are making that Morris sound real nice!

Bertram....what is that instrument...electric uke...mini tenor electric....? What? Sounds chill

Dave....the Fairy Dust was nice....but the playing was WAY better than the special effects! You do look like you're really enjoying this piece!

Manfred, you reallly get great tone out of that Eastman....so clean!
  27. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Rob.
    When I got this Eastman a little over 3 years ago, it was really green (I did not know then that this condition existed!).
    But it is not only the mandolin that has become more mature.

I also learned a lot here on the Cafe regarding picks, strings, etc.
    Currently I use a 1,5 mm Wegen pick and D'Addario FT-74 Flattops, which I like a lot (wound A string).

Kyle, you did a great job!
    And you are not the only one who has to do multiple recordings

Bertram Clapton, great job too.
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all.
    That instrument is an electric Tenor Uke (Eleuke). I put nylon guitar strings on it to make it GDAE. That is my hotel-room-friendly travel practising instrument. It has a built-in headphone amp, so I plug my headset in and I'm ready to go. It also has an MP3 input jack, so I can play along with my iPod.
  29. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Fun videos by everyone. Here is my take, from the Stangeland transcription (from Mandozine?)

I learned this a few months ago, when a subscriber not connected with SongAWeek (obviously a masochist...) asked me to post this song. I learned it, but never recorded it. So here it is.
  30. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing, everyone,.
  31. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    CelticDude, I like the ornamentation and double stops you've added to your version.
  32. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks everyone!

Bertram, Sehr gut! Pretty sweet on that electric uke!
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    something must be flakey, as not all the videos are showing up. I've seen all but CelticDude's... hope it appears!
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nicely arranged with that whistle again Dana! Gives it a bouncy mood.
    I noticed that your eyes seem to wander from left to right - got a teleprompter?
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There's more that's flakey - there used to be a reply from Dana here and since yesterday's crash it's gone?
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    They lost everything between 6:30 am and the crash mid-morning... so those have to be reposted. I know, cause I'd been busy posting stuff here and on the regular message board!
  37. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Seems to be only the posts because several of my PMs went thru OK.

mc
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Whoever has come up with chords, could you post them?
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, here'a simple version, no multi-tracking, me playing it on my Collings MT2O mandolin. I've got other versions in the works, but wanted to post something!

40. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    I should be wearing green on this, but oh well!

Goodness me, my stage presence is certainly lacking. A smile or two wouldn't be taken amiss, but this music be hard work!

41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dj, very nice! Sweet sounding Weber you've got there! You may not have smiled, but at least you got dressed!
  42. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice sounds from the Collings and Weber mandolins here.

Although there is a difference in the acoustics of the billard saloon and the country estate.

dj, no worries, compared to me you look really friendly.
  43. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Hehe, country estate....it's actually a condo in a 1890's converted warehouse in downtown Mpls. Lots of cement and brick. Without a rug or two it'd be a echo chamber! Hard as heck to keep humidified.

Barbara, was that your nightgown!
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, my fleecy jammies, actually! I prefer to think of them as my 'lounging' clothes, haha! I'm in a late 1800's farmhouse.... one where the running water & electricity was a later addition! Last remodel probably in the 1950's... well, I did repair some wall cracks and paint a couple of rooms about 6 years ago! I promise, once the snow melts, I'll put some regular looking lounging clothes on!
  45. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    We should see if Scott will charter Mandolin Cafe themed Snuggies - then we can all get some and record in those!
  46. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Different instrument, different version of the tune, I've moved the "teleprompter"

47. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Another nice version, DJ! I've got a Weber almost exactly like that one!
  48. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Yeah, I think you've posted a video of it! It's really interesting how different the f hole absaroka sounds from the d hole bridger.
  49. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, I believe you said you had Finale so I posted a notated version with chords here:

http://www.box.net/shared/e1vd75rysq

Let me know if that works.
  50. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice work everyone!

DJ, your Bridger sounds great!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast