Week #1 ~ Road to Lisdoonvarna (REVISITED)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, don't you have any lamps? Keith (and everyone else): I recommend ya'll go back and revisit the past weeks, and submit videos, no matter WHEN they were the 'official' tune!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Keith, yes that's a Fylde. I had it with a local luthier two weeks ago for refretting and to replace the Fylde bridge by another one that stands on two single feet, thus making my former kludge (two single aluminum shims under the Fylde bridge) a permanent feature. Sounds even better now. I wonder why they don't do that at Fylde in the first place, since the instrument responds very well to it - probably because they basically are guitar builders and have that solid pin bridge concept in their heads.

Barb, I will have to resort to lamps eventually in winter, but sunlight has just the bright softness the camera needs to beautifully paint my striking features...
  3. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's my attempt to play Road to Lisdoonvarna. I didn't bother about playing it through once again, since I wouldn't add anything new to it.

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Susi!
  5. theCOOP
    theCOOP
    haven't listened to them all, but it sounds like Finnegan's Wake to me.
  6. Susanne
    Susanne
    Finnegan's wake as performed by the Irish rovers

I agree it may have some similarities with Finnegan's wake, but it's not the same tune. It's a cool tune though (I wonder what tune the Irish rovers throw in as a break?? Nice one!)
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That hammer-on at the end is a huge step in the right direction if you are going for larger instruments, Susi. It is the key to make a double stop bouncy. Feel free to use that more often.

The resemblance with Finnegans Wake is audible in the melody (on a level where many tunes resemble each other), though not in the timing (6/8 vs. 4/4). Such similarities are often used by the Dutch group Rapalje to built a tune into a song, e.g. "Inis Oirr" inside "Caledonia".
  8. theCOOP
    theCOOP
    I prefer Dropkick Murphy's version of Finnegan's Wake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGRasJd7KA

The Irish Rovers are ok but they sound a little cliche to me now, especially compared to Dubliners, etc.

Anyway, I didn't say it was the same tune, I said it sounded like...

Jusy kinda my way pinpointing the tunes that are played in some songs I like by not-so-traditional celtic acts.
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    As someone said, there is only one Irish tune, and 6000 (at least) variations.

Bertram, whatever I did I'll try on the zouk. I actually thought yesterday that I should try this tune on the zouk.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job on that one Susi - such a lovely clear tone as well, I can see why your Flatbush cured your MAS!
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good playing again Solas, but that was unmistakeably Morrison's jig - hey we didn't have a discussion for Morrison's yet, had we?

Barb, shouldn't we start one and transfer Solas' post there? I would then record my own version, too...
  12. Solas
    Solas
    ahh! Thanks for setting me straight. I get the two confused since I often hear them played together in a set.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Solas, you can delete your own post (I can't). You just go to 'edit' then probably something like 'advanced edit' and that's where you find the option to delete. Then just start a new discussion, entitled "Morrison's Jig" and embed your video there!
  14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I have no intention of catching up on all the tunes from the last year, but this is a favorite of mine that I just learned to play on mando!

15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your hammer ons worked really nicely in that tune. It sounds great.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Martin, that was great!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a grand way to play a fast tune with a slow hand - that is soooo cool
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It's nice to see Week #1 roll back around a year later! Remember, we may be called the Song A Week Social Group, but anyone can 'revive' any tune whenever they want!
  19. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Great one, Martin. Us newbies to the group have a whole treasure trove to dig up!
  20. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks guys! You're so encouraging.
  21. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Ok, here goes! This is my first video, ever. I decided just to go for it and not worry about the mistakes ~ no retakes ~~ even though it became a fustercluck at the end.

I'm a rank beginner ~ takes me a coupla weeks to learn a tune; so started at the beginning tune. I'll see if I can learn Gypsy Princess to post later this week. I'll probably skip around until I get faster at learning tunes.

This is my "Beater-Lyn". She's a Greg Bennett. I'm using a Blue Chip TPR 60.

Oh my ~ that pinkie. Gotta work on controlling her.
  22. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice first post Loretta. Far beyond 'rank'.
  23. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Loretta. That was great. The video was cool too. All that while your playing your mando upside down. Good job.
    I hope to do my first post this week, if I can figure out the techhie stuff. If it comes out half as good as yours I'll be happy.
    Gary
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Loretta, picked clean on an eye-twisting lefty.
    I had to look up "fustercluck" but found out it was related to SNAFU - that one I know
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Loretta.... great first post! Keep em coming! Are you using a Mac to video? I ask, because, if you use one program, you end up with a mirror image (I discovered that when I got my Mac), but if you video with iMovie, it appears the right way....
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Loretta - clean and clear and with feeling!
  27. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. First one's the hardest, but now I'm not "afeared" anymore. Like ice-skating, you just keep going even if you goof up. It's the sweaty palms I gotta work on.

This recording thing took me months to figure out, Barbara. Three webcams later (none will work with iMovie), the only way I could do this was to shoot the video in Photobooth with an HP webcam, then suck it into iMovie. Oh, I'm upside down and backwards. Back to the drawing board
  28. agundrum
    agundrum
    Hi all! This is going to be my first contribution! This was played on my Crestwood F-Style mandolin and recorded with a Zoom H2.
    http://api.ning.com/files/X4vgJtRxcF...nvarnaEdit.mp3
  29. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Welcome agundrum. It's not fair to have such a stellar first posting. Very nice job.
    Gary
  30. agundrum
    agundrum
    Thank, Gary! I posted to Irish Washerwoman today as well - two in one day! Probably not very stellar.
    John
  31. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby

I found my webcam again! It was hiding in a decorative shopping bag behind the wife's monitor.... I'm trying to work on my presentation a bit and not looks so frightened or angry. I even left in the big eye roll near the end.
  32. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice job Ryan. Good to see you back.
    Gary
  33. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Though I just joined in at week #139, I thought I'd try some at the beginning as well. Here's a version of Road to Lisdoonvarna! Just the mandolin this time, which is a 1920s Sovereign mandolin. Happy New Year!

34. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Very nice, Bob! Lovely mandolin also. Road to Lisdoonvarna seems to be a great one for firsts. Here at the cafe #1 tune, my first jig and first video. Welcome!
  35. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Thanks, Loretta! I don't think yours was nearly the explosive mess that you made it out to be. I enjoyed your video. Nice to meet you!
  36. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Congrats Bob, you are hereby presented with the Archaeological Award for unearthing the oldest thread of the SAW group and preserving the tune in excellent alive condition!
  37. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Thanks, Bertram! Though it will take me a long time, I hope to catch up on all of the SAW songs. It seems like such a great way to learn so many different kinds of tunes!
  38. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I just joined this group. Blame Bertram.

I always thought that this group was just for advanced players (learning a song a week is certainly not something I can do). But if I may throw some less professional offerings into the mix, I'll be part of this community with pleasure! I've been practising mandolin for two-and-a-half years now, and it's my first serious instrument. I mostly like to learn folk and medieval/Renaissance music.

Here's a somewhat older video of Road to Lisdoonvarna while I work on a nice take of the Galway. Thank you.
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome, Gelsenbury! Looking forward to more videos!
  40. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    My first video!!

I made a video, but my cam is so simple that the image don't sync with the sound, so I decided to use the sound and introduce images of my town.

It's a play-along, using a free mp3 of jay buckey.

41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your playing sounds great, Jairo--very smooth and steady. Congratulations on your first video, and welcome to the Song-A-Week Group.
  42. Dan Krhla
    Dan Krhla
    Jarapa that sounds great, and cool pictures!
  43. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Jairo, lovely playing. It is one of my favourite tunes. Works really well at a nice steady pace. I often think some of these tunes lose something of the musicality when played at a brisk session speed. And great images. I love toy town style time lapse photography. Did you take the pictures yourself?
  44. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's the perfect speed at which to play Road to Lisdoonvarna. I enjoyed your recording very much.

What is your town. Could any of us send you some strings perhaps?
  45. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Marcelyn, thank you for your kind words, as a beginner is so encouraging, I'm your fan, always see your videos.

Mr.Rankine, , Dan, Gelsenbury, thank you too!

To learn all this music is a pleasure and a longtime project, and a challenge, american old time music, irish, etc. are so culturally far away from me, that the first goal is to try to get the "feeling" of the tunes and the rhythm, and do it well with all the respect this music deserves.
  46. justkaron
    justkaron
  47. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice, Karon! That's week 1 and 2 down. Can we expect to hear a little Irish Washer Woman and Soldier's Joy in the near future?
  48. justkaron
    justkaron
    Yes you can, Marcelyn. I'm feeling it's almost sacrilegious to put my plodding and awkward versions on these threads....but I have such an urge to keep working on these tunes that I will add them here. Hoping to come back and run better versions over these beginner attempts.

Thanks to everyone here who has always been kind and encouraging to this Newb. Lordy, how I wish I had started this 20 years ago! But, since I can't go back, I'll try to go forward.

Karon
  49. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here we are back at Week #1!

My project this weekend is to get a few dance tune arrangements down at something like regular dance speeds, and The Road To Lisdoonvarna is a good one for that as it falls nicely under the fingers and can be speeded up without too much trouble. As with my other Irish tunes posted this weekend, this arrangement is again by Evelyn (harper), originally for her contra dance band. I'm playing it on two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello, with the tenor guitar taking the melody from the mandolin on the second repeat of the tune. Evelyn's bass line harmony works nicely on mandocello. Played at 120bpm.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  50. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hi Guys, this is my first posting for tune a week. I was actually thinking it would be better in the woodshed group (!).
    This is take 2 and I’d already had enough watching mosquitos line up on my arm! I’m in a dried river bed. You can hear my foot splashing instead of tapping...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast