Inisheer (Traditional)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Inisheer, traditional tune by Thomas Moore.
  2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very Nice Dusty! I love this tune, we play it sometimes at our Folksession in Holland
    Your mandolin has a nice round tone, I love it.. Can you tell me something about it?
  3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Love this dusty. Reminds me of the theme tune from Belle et Sebastian, a tear jerking tune from childhood holiday TV viewing. Beautiful tone from the mandolin - all rather moving
  4. CathyL
    CathyL
    Simply beautiful, dustyamps! I agree with luurtie, your mandolin tone and crisp, clean picking has me enthralled.
  5. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I recently discovered this tune on John Kelly's Soundcloud site and had to give it a go myself. As can be seen from this thread the tune has been on the cafe for over 3 years now with a recent reprisal by Dusty with his wonderful clear tone.

John's Soundcloud clip is here: http://snd.sc/kZbFRK

Here's my go with mandolin, guitar and accordion.

6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Bob, you've inspired me to redo the video to my original post, long since removed. I played a Sobell mandolin, Wheatstone Aeola English concertina, Santa Cruz OM guitar and bowed a double bass.

7. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David - that was fantastic!! Your pieces always have that evocative Irish/Scot nature to them that is just wonderful. The OM work is fabulous and the bowed bass really adds a lot to the piece. A lot of thought went into it. Thanks for posting it, I had wondered why people were commenting about your version but I had looked and couldn't find it.
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I play in a trio consisting of fiddle, mandolin (me), and guitar. I thought Inisheer would be nice for us to do. In slow tunes, due to the lack of sustain on a mandolin and my tremolo is non-existent, the fiddle generally gets the 'good' part. Tunes sound good when we both play melody together but can also sound good if I play a harmony part. I therefore wrote a harmony part for Inisheer. I don't know if this is blasphemous for the traditionalists.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you can make for improving the harmony. Here's the harmony track added to my previous recording:

X:1
    T: Inisheer - Harmony Part - 01/03/14 - Bob Anderson
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/16
    K: G
    D4|: "G" G6 F2 G2B2 | "Bm" G6 F2 G2B2 | "C" C6 E2 F2E2 | "D" A,6 G2 F2E2 |
    "G" G6 F2 G2B2 | "Bm" G6 F2 G2B2 | "C" E6 G2 "D" FE D2 |2 "G" D6 B,2B,2 D2 :|3
    "G" D6 F2 G2B2 |] "C" c6 c2 c2G2 | "G" G6 F2 G2B2 | "Em(C)" B2B2B2 G2 GG G2 |
    "Em" B6 E2 G2G2 | "C" c6 c2 c2G2 | "G" G6 F2 G2B2 | "D" D6 D2 DDD2 |
    "G" D6 F2 G2B2 | "C" c6 c2 c2G2 | "G" G6 F2 G2B2 | "Em(C)" c2c2 c2B2 GAB2 |
    "Em" c6 E2 G2G2 | "C" c6 c2 c2G2 | "G" G6 F2 G2G2 | "D" A,6 F2 FDD2 | "G" G12 ||
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12