Mandola and Mandocello

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Anyone got a 615MDA or an 815MDA, or a Mandocello?
    I used to have a 615MDA that was quite reasonable and last week I acquired an 815MDA that is absolutely superb. It has an abbreviated pick-guard and a bone (or ivory) saddle on the bridge. The varnish coating is really thin and scratches easily but the flamed-maple back and neck are stunning.
  2. Jim Murton
    Jim Murton
    i just bought a 815mda mandola. I LOVE it. sounds great. just gotta learn how to play it..
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    I picked a 615MDA yesterday and it sounds great. I don't know how Eastman produces these for the price...
  4. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    I have the Eastman mandocello. Totally love it. I've had it for about 16 months. Came with a hardshell case, which is pretty decent quality. Here is a sound sample:

5. Eddie Sheehy
    Man, what great booming sound, and very nicely played.
  6. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    Thanks Eddie. I believe the Eastman to be the best value out there for a mandocello from a "production" company. The only others I know of are Santa Cruz, Ovation and Weber, all starting at least $ 1k above Eastman. That said, I have heard excellent sound clips from Joe Mendel mandocellos; if I were in the market now I'd look hard at his instruments (sorry, I know this is the Eastman forum).

I'd love to hear clips of the Eastman mandolas.
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    This the 815 MDA:

and the 615 MDA:

8. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    Sounds great Eddie. They both have a sweet sound. To me, I prefer the sound of the 615 MDA. Sounds a little mellower. Can I get a ball park on what these generally go for?
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    I have both up for sale:
    $1,300 for the 815 MDA(speed neck, Brian Dean Tailpiece, Ebony bridge)
    $1,050 for the 615 MDA( all standard).

The 615MDA has been discontinued. I've seen the 815MDA for between $1,600 and $1,800 - I think the MSRP is around $1,800.
  10. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    Quite tempting, but I just ordered a new Morris F4 las month, kind of spent my instrument budget for a while.