Michael Turner's Waltz

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This tune was in fact composed in 1788 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (KV 536, No. 2, ‘Six German Dances’)Waltz in G. It is not clear how it came to be ascribed to Michael Turner (1796-1885) of Warnham, Sussex. He was a fiddler, shoemaker, parish clerk and sexton. As well as playing for dances, he led the Warnham church band until 1847, when the band was replaced by an organ. See the rest of the discussion here:

X: 1
    T:Michael Turner's Waltz
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Exceptionally lovely playing there, sir! Nice to see you breaking out the Tenortone - I'm still wanting to get one of those desperately! Changes to my work schedule mean that I'm shopping around for a car right now, but after that I may be shopping around for a Tenortone!
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice as always David.
  4. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    Very nice David. A little thump on the base would be a nice addition.
  5. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    That´s very beautiful, thanks David. I´ll learn this. I´ll love to introduce a Mozart piece to the irish session. This Fletcher tenor is a very desirable instrument.
  6. mculliton123
    Fantastic playing, David. any one have the Tabs for this one? it's a must learn
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I fell in love with this tune. My rendition is no where NEAR the beauty of David's, but I had to take a stab at it.

I'm playing my Collings MT2O mandolin and my Petersen Cittern. I recorded and mixed this in Garage Band. I obviously still need work on figuring out the camera in my Mac, and the settings, as I recorded it (I thought) so you could see the rest of my face, and and right hand, but when I started working with it in iMovie, it was like this. Kind of weird to see the bottom half of my face, without my eyes.....

The weakest part of this is my rhythm playing on the cittern. I'm just now starting to work on playing rhythm, so it's pretty messy!

8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, very nicely done. You are really moving pretty quickly on the multitrack curve. I wish I had progressed as fast as you have. It is quite a wonderful tune isn't it? But what to you expect from Wolfie?
  9. mikeyes
    This is a favorite of mine too. Our group features it on harp with a gradual swelling of instruments. We tell the audience that Seamus Mozart wrote it.

Nice playing, both of you!

Mike Keyes
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    I always wanted to play a Classical Piece....

11. KeithMcIsaac
    A beautiful piece of music. Lovely playing from all.
  12. Daci
    Oh I love that. I've never heard that before!

"I always wanted to play a Classical Piece...."

The theme to Masterpiece Theater is always a hoot to play.
    I even arranged it on hammer dulcimer.
  13. luurtie
    My friend Harry asked me to play this tune for the "Trekzak" (diatonic button accordeon). They also have a social group with a tune of the month.

14. Marcelyn
    That's beautiful, Hendrik. I love when the old tunes come back to the top around here because I missed this one the first time around. You and David both demonstrate how well suited the mandolin and accordion are for each other. Maybe we'll get to hear more of yours in the future. And a great long-buried performances from Barbara and Eddie too.
  15. GKWilson
    Very nice Hendrik. The guy standing in your sink plays a very nice mandolin also.
  16. luurtie
    Didn't you recognise me with a white Hat Gary? The accordeon player is Harry, I thought If he wears one why shouldn't I....
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just discovered this lovely tune, and its fascinating history.

This tune is an instance of cross fertilisation between classical and folk music. It was written in 1788 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart as part of his "Six German Dances", and not originally a waltz. Sometime in the 1840s, the fiddler and village church musician Michael Turner (1796-1885) from the village of Warnham in West Sussex must have transcribed it by ear from a concert performance, as it appears without attribution in one of his manuscript tune books along with various folk dances and other tunes of the day. Turner's transcription made some minor changes from Mozart's original and identified it only as a waltz. That transcription was rediscovered in the 1980s and became a popular tune in folk sessions across the UK and elsewhere, under the name "Michael Turner's Waltz". There's some useful info, and a link to Mozart's original score, at:

This particular arrangement for contra dance band is by our Cafe member harper (thanks, Evelyn!), who has retained the folky feel of Turner's Waltz, but reversed his changes in the melody back to Mozart's original and also added Mozart's original harmonies in the accompaniment.

I've adapted Evelyn's setting to a mandolin quintet (but still keeping it more folky than classical):

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin/bouzouki
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Because of the use of Mozart's original melody and harmonies, the character of my recording is a bit different from the (excellent!) earlier ones in this thread -- a bit less relaxed and a bit more bright.

18. dustyamps
    Solo mandolin
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bumping up to the top of the list...
  20. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Michael, I'm bumping this one again ... It's such a beautiful waltz!

I stumbled on it while searching to see if Seamus O'Brien's had ever been offered up here in SAW, I'm learning that one now as it too is lovely and was played at the jam tonight. But this one has to go on my list soon
  21. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas

Michael Turner's Waltz is also an official Tune Of The Week for Week #356. New recordings should be posted in that thread:

22. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks, Martin.