New Poe mandolins

1. BinkWms
    BinkWms
    Andy is within a couple of weeks of finishing up three new mandolins from his new workshop. I'm sure he will have pictures up soon. Mine is the oval hole with bear claw dark face. If I can figure out how to post some of the build photos, I will put some up. I'm totally excited and know it will be worth the wait. Andy has been a joy to work with throughout the process, making helpful and informed suggestions. It is being strung with Thomastik flat wound; mainly for Scottish/Cape Breton and old time music.
  2. guitharsis
    guitharsis
    Congrats, Bink! Sounds great.
    My Scout will be strung with Thomastiks too.
  3. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    BinkWms,
    Sounds like you have an intriguing new Poe oval. Can't wait to see it. Please do post build pics. I don't see the usual post photo tool in the Social Group threads; however, it IS available in the "Add Pictures" section seen at the top when you first open the Poe Social Group forum. You have to create an album under your User CP first, then you just link to your album when adding pictures. If all else fails, ask Jamie Stanek (moderator).

Keep us posted,
    Steve (Poe #16)
  4. bluegrassforme
    bluegrassforme
    Just added three pictures of the batch as mentioned. Mine is a sidebound 23 Loar replica of #74002. I am excited about its' near completion. Cannot say enough good words about Andy. He has been a joy to work with.
  5. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    bluegrassforme,
    Wow. That back is exquisite. I'm not up on my Loar knowledge, but the staining looks very vintage. Did Andy have access to that Loar, or did he base his build on photos? I'm sure you've waited a long time and are greatly anticipating its delivery.
  6. bluegrassforme
    bluegrassforme
    Steve-o,
    Thanks. The back was a ####### match back set that Andy was holding back for such a project. We both really liked the looks of #74002 and Andy worked from the archive pics. It will have full pickguard. waverly tuners with pearl buttons, James tailpiece, and small stainless steel frets.
  7. BinkWms
    BinkWms
    Steve-o, Thanks for the instructions for the photos. I was able to put some up including the way cool carbon fiber neck brace. bluegrassforme; thanks for the pics of your baby. Guitharsis; post some pics when you get some from Andy. Is it fair that at least two of the three are coming to Florida to live? Appreciate ya'lls support and interest.
  8. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Bink- that's stunning! another work of art from Andy. Love the wood inlay around the soundhole, that really sets it off. Keep us posted.
    Teri #8
  9. bluegrassforme
    bluegrassforme
    Bink-Your oval hole is exquisite. The color contrast on the top with the rosette is cool as well as the flowerpot. Andy just keeps outdoing himself.
    Florida is definitely better off to have two more of his creations residing within
    Congrats!
  10. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Bink,
    Wow. I'm all out of superlatives for Andy. Each one is a masterpiece. I too love the rosette and nice choice of color/contrast.
  11. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    >"Florida is definitely better off to have two more of his creations residing within">

So where do these babys reside? Mine in in Jax. FL
  12. BinkWms
    BinkWms
    We're about three hours to the west of Jacksonville, south of Tallahassee in Sopchoppy. We adjoin the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge. www.LuckyEnoughFarm.com gives an idea of our small homestead. Our small group Lanark Scottish Fiddle Orchestra comes over to play at the North East Florida Scottish games, end of February in Green Cove Springs.
  13. bluegrassforme
    bluegrassforme
    Mine will split time between the beach on the space coast (approx 170 miles to the south of Jax) and Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda on Florida's gulf coast.
  14. F5G WIZ
    F5G WIZ
    Hey guys, thanks for the build pictures, they look awesome as always. Curious as to what your build number will be on your new mando's and also I havent talked to Andy in a while. Fill me in on his new shop?
  15. F5G WIZ
    F5G WIZ
    Also after looking more closely at the pics of Binkwms mando, it does not appear to have a truss rod. I thought it had a sandwiched three peice neck but is that a carbon fiber insert??
  16. BinkWms
    BinkWms
    Definitely carbon fiber! Andy has done a number of these and has had no problems whatsoever. Rock solid. A different look with no truss rod cover for sure. I don't remember the build number. Thanks.
  17. F5G WIZ
    F5G WIZ
    Didn't realize he was doing those, thanks.