Week #37 ~ Niel Gow's Lament for His Second Wife

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by one vote, is Niel Gow's Lament for his Second Wife.

From www.wikipedia.org (a link to the full wiki article)

Niel Gow (1727–1807) was possibly the most famous Scottish fiddler of the 18th century.

Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org (a link to the tune at thesession)

X: 1
    T: Niel Gow's Lament For His Second Wife
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    D/B,/|A,>B,D {DC}D>ED|EFA B2d|A>FD {EF}E>DE|{DE}FDB, B,2D/B,/|
    A,>B,D {DE}D>ED|EFA d2c/B/|A>FD {=C}B,2 A,|B,D>D D2:|
    (3A/B/c/|\d>fd {cd}ecA|{Bc}B/A/B/c/{Bc}d B/A/G/F/E/D/|{EF}E>DE {DE}F>ED|{D}FDB, B,2 (3A/B/c/|
    d>fd {cd}ecA|B/A/B/c/{Bc}d B/A/G/F/E/D/|{EF}E>DE {DE}FDB,|A,<DD [D2A,2] (3A/B/c/|
    {e}d>fd ecA|B/A/B/c/{Bc}d B/A/G/F/E/D/|F/D/A/F/d/A/ B/A/G/F/E/D/|{DE}FEE E2D/B,/|
    A,B,D D>ED|EFA d2c/B/|A>FD {=C}B,2A,|B,<DD [D2A,2]|]

A search on YouTube yields a number of submissions for this slow air

Here's one

2. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Oh, this is a good one. I forgot to vote this week but I'd have voted for this. I already play it badly on the fiddle.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my version played on my Weber octar, Sobell mandolin, Wheatstone concertina and double bass. The images are from Scottish postcards sent to my grandmother from her friends in the "old" country to remind her of home.

4. Eddie Sheehy
    Breathtaking, David.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David that was just wonderful! Scottish Grandmother, eh? Hansen.. I had you pegged for Scandahoovian!
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Janey Mack, David - that is certainly setting the bar high, sir! Extremely well done and absolutely lovely!
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I often think I'm going to hate the new tune of the week, and then David Hansen plays it, and it just sounds great.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    A Scandahoovian Viking that ravished some poor Scottish Lassie...
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    What a treat, David!
    And what a lovely tune. I am glad I voted for it although I didn't know it.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks for all the kind words. Eddie if you had known my grandmother you'd be feeling sorry for my viking grandfather.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have no words, David. This is it. Untoppable. Couldn't see the postcards clearly through the water in my eyes. I'll have to watch it a few more times.
  12. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    seriously David.... when is the album coming out!!! You rock!
  13. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    David your video is a very enchanting. I felt like I had traveled to a different world. A simpler world. This was a very refreshing video and I really enjoyed it. Thanks.
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, would you be so kind as to share the chords you came up with?
  15. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Just excellent. I agree with Jill, you're setting the bar high. I love all the layers, especially the depth of the octar and bass together.
  16. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's the chords:

Neil Gow’s Lament for the Death of His Second Wife

A Part

D D Em G D Em Bm G
    D D Em G D Em G D :ll

B1 Part

D A Bm G Em Bm D G
    D A Bm G Em Bm G D

B2 Part

D A Bm G D G Em A
    D D Em G D Em G D
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David thanks! I'm in the infant stage of trying to figure out chords.... I'd gotten all those except the Bm's but I knew something was missing!
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm no David Hansen, but someone else has to post!

I'm NOT left handed, just realized that the built in camera on my new Mac shoots in mirror image... any way to fix that?

Played on my short scale (22.5") Petersen Cittern, which I had not been playing, as it needed its bridge adjusted. Finally made the trip out to see Bill Petersen, and he got it taken care of for me! Plan on hearing more of this beautiful instrument!

ps, just realized I titled it Lament TO his second wife, rather than FOR his second wife, oh well!
  19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Barbara, I had no idea you were ambidextrous. Great tone from that cittern too.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job Barbara. I worked out my own arrangement to this before David posted his chords, so it sounds a bit different. I also played it a bit faster, so maybe it's like it would have been if Neil Gow had been more of a country boy and less of an old gloomypants.

21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, I love it! When I first started tinkering with this, I also tried it more uptempo, and thought it had great possibility that way! I may try recording it faster, as well!

I have a question about your finished product video. You record several tracks in a recording program (can't remember which you use), that don't involve video. At some point, you video yourself playing (or do you video yourself playing each track?) Your final product, I feel, is the audio recorded through your recording program, NOT the video recorded along with your video, right? How do you merge this all together?
  22. Eddie Sheehy
    Ambidextrous? I thought you were Episcopalian...
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Barbara. What I do is video myself while I'm recording the track I'm going to use in the video (well, obviously). So then in Windows MovieMaker I mute the video soundtrack, and use the audio from Sonar (my multitracking program) in its place (MovieMaker lets you add an additional soundtrack layer). I use the audio recorded along with the video as a reference to help me sync it up before muting it.
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well, OS, that's "Neill Gow dancing on his second wife's grave, after she lamented to him too many times" Great!

Amazing what different moods can be created out of the same tune. There's a fine line between heaven and hell. Compliant with my own normal disposition to life however, I'll take the celtic/melancholic path when putting up my version.
  25. Susanne
    Susanne
    I'm delighted to see a slow air as the tune of the week. Bluegrass tunes don't go as well on the whistle....
  26. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    My question for you multi-trackers... Which track do you record first? I've tried it a few times, but seem to lose the beat. Is it easiest to record the melody first then support it? Or the other way around? I get a little lost in the layers sometimes and figure there should be an easier way.

I've tried both the Mac and my Tascam with dubbing abilities. Maybe I just need more practice with it.

p.s. Both renditions are awesome.
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ambidextrous? I thought you were Episcopalian...

Me, aw shucks, Ah'm just a Little Ole Sutthern Bayell!
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hastyman, hopefully someone who has a little more experience will answer, but this is what I've done on the one or two I've worked on in Garage Band. First, I recorded the melody, with the metronome going in the headset. Then I recorded the rhythm/chord track, while listening to the first melody track with metronome still going. Then, I deleted the first melody track, and started working on my keeper melody track, while listening to the rhythm/chord track, with the metronome still going
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done OS and Barbara, both versions played with feeling, top stuff altogether!
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Jill. Hastyman, most often I record just a single guitar backing to start with, but I will always have a metronome sound in my headphones while recording it. Usually I will keep the metronome sound on while I record all of the tracks, it's very easy to go astray otherwise.

It can be helpful to have a lead down first and play the accompaniment along with it, as it makes it easier to follow the structure of the tune - I did that in this case since I didn't know the tune too well and I wanted to experiment with different chords. When I do that I will often re-record the lead again afterward since I usually find I do a better job of it when playing with the accompaniment than with a metronome.

Yet another cheaty method I've used is to play the rhythm guitar while hearing the sound of someone else's version of the song in the headphones, especially if there's a particular rhythmic feel I want to copy. That also helps to get more feeling into the backup playing.
  31. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Hastyman, I normally record a "click" track first. A "click" track is a rhythm track, like OS's metronome but in my case it's a drum machine playing the tempo of the tune. Once you have the "click" track it's harder to screw up. Then I record the melody and then finally the accompaniment. I too will often redo the melody after the accompaniment is done to try and get the feel more in sync. The critical thing is to always play to the original rhythm track at each layer of the project. It's interesting to note that on this tune I did not record a rhythm track because I wanted a more flowing feel to it and a lament isn't really a dance tune.
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, here's a faster version played on my Collings MT2O mandolin

You'll note I've come to my senses & started playing right handed again!
  33. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Barbara, that works really well.

I think YouTube upgraded their software over the New Year, it seems to process videos more slowly than before. Yours loads fine now.
  34. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    well done Barbara, and cleanly played too!
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Happy and contented playing there, Barb. Good idea, too, to have a hairstyle that prevents you from looking at the fretboard - I'll have to try that!
  36. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Lovely, Barbara.
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    Resist the comb-over approach Bertram, BTW Happy Birthday...
  38. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Any chance someone could post tabs for this? I'm not real good with reading music. I can do it though if no one has the tabs. Thanks!

Chris
  39. Randy Price
    Randy Price
    Chris -

I have an arrangement I did posted here in .pdf and .jpg; also in .tef for those using tabledit:

http://public.me.com/randy.price

Navigate to the Music folder and you'll find them there.

Randy
  40. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks Randy. I appreciate it!

Chris
  41. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, I noticed that you not only played that one right-handed but you also rearrainged the furniture and rebuilt the staircase, very impressive.
    but, all seriousness aside, i am very new to the instrument and this site ~6 weeks, and just getting used to tabs so could you be so kind to translate this for me, ? or point me to the correct thread? much obliged.

Thx.X: 1
    T: Niel Gow's Lament For His Second Wife
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    D/B,/|A,>B,D {DC}D>ED|EFA B2d|A>FD {EF}E>DE|{DE}FDB, B,2D/B,/|
    A,>B,D {DE}D>ED|EFA d2c/B/|A>FD {=C}B,2 A,|B,D>D D2:|
    (3A/B/c/|\d>fd {cd}ecA|{Bc}B/A/B/c/{Bc}d B/A/G/F/E/D/|{EF}E>DE {DE}F>ED|{D}FDB, B,2 (3A/B/c/|
    d>fd {cd}ecA|B/A/B/c/{Bc}d B/A/G/F/E/D/|{EF}E>DE {DE}FDB,|A,<DD [D2A,2] (3A/B/c/|
    {e}d>fd ecA|B/A/B/c/{Bc}d B/A/G/F/E/D/|F/D/A/F/d/A/ B/A/G/F/E/D/|{DE}FEE E2D/B,/|
    A,B,D D>ED|EFA d2c/B/|A>FD {=C}B,2A,|B,<DD [D2A,2]|]

Michael C
  42. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
  43. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Here's Mine... I'm really loving my "Tone-Gard", I highly recommend one!

44. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great, great job Chris! Very well done!
  45. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's really nice Chris.
  46. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wonderful doublestops, Chris, with a sweepy waltzy rhythm ("Niel Gow Clearing out his Second Wife's Personal Belongings - Stand Clear of the Windows")
  47. Eddie Sheehy
    "Niel Gow Clearing out his Second Wife's Personal Belongings - Stand Clear of the Windows"..

So let's develop it into a set-dance with "Round The House And Mind the Coffin"...
  48. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    mculliton123,

ABC notation is a generic format for sharing music.

http://abcnotation.com/ is a website that explains it in more detail. Basically it is a quick, easy, way to transfer music to other people. Since many don't read tabs, or notation, or what have you, this allows them to use the music in a format they are familiar with. It also makes it easy to store or e-mail music without taking up too much space on the computer.

Chris gave you a great website for transferring the songs to notation. The concertina.net website, and another good one is www.thesession.org
  49. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Hastyman, thx for the site. this is the first i have heard of this notation. as i am just learning mandolin-ese anyway might as well learn the notation too.
    Great tip
    thx again
    Michael Culliton
  50. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Mculliton,
    Go to the ABC Plus site: http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/

Download:
    ABC Explorer:
    http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#ABCExplorer
    and Guido Gonzato's Making music with ABC PLus:
    http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#ABCGuide