Play it before I buy it?

1. TonyE
    TonyE
    I'm so new to mandolin that I don't even have one yet. I'm reading a lot online about makes, types and associated sound characteristics. It looks like the balance between quality and budget strikes in the range of Eastman 5XX models. Based on aesthetics, what I read about sound characteristics, and the mp3 clips at themandolinstore.com, the A style Oval hole models "X04" are just the ticket.

I'll be playing at home, and by myself until I learn at least a little bit. My kids are 2 years into suzuki violin and are beginning to branch into fiddle tunes. My wife also plays guitar. My goal is to play along with them, accompany them, and have fun goofing off learning songs that grab me. Making music is becoming a focus of family life and mandolin looks like a good way for me to participate.

Right now I want to see, hear, and hold (can't really say play) as many mandolins as I can before I buy one. I'd really like to be able to hold 'my' instrument before I buy it. Problem is I can't find an Eastman mandolin, much less an X04, anywhere within 500 miles. A local guiter shop carries mandolins from Paris Swing, MK, Kentucky, and Ibanez. They cover a pretty good range of character, but there wasn't an A style oval hole in the lot. And I don't want to buy one of them without at least trying (my now idealized) Eastman 504 or 604.

I could buy one from a distant shop, and I'm sure any instrument in this range would exceed my abilities for a long time. The way things go this may be my only mandolin for the next 20 years. Any advice or words of comfort on acquiring an instrument this way?

Appreciatively,
    -Tony
  2. Scott Crabtree
    Scott Crabtree
    Play it before you buy it. Make sure it is set-up properly (intonation, strings, etc...)
  3. gregjones
    gregjones
    I understand about the unavailability of mandolins to try out. Although I live only 50 miles from Atlanta, "life" doesn't allow me time to go and play mandolins (that would be the only non-work activity I would need to venture into Atlanta to do).

You are are the right track listening to MP3s of instruments in stock. They can give you a very close example of what the instrument will sound like. The Mandolin Store is a great place to shop online. There is a great selection, the folks you deal with are as good as you can find, the prices are right, the instrument will be set up, and there is a return policy.

I would go for the 500 series. The only difference in that and the 600 is the fancy stuff. Many members that have the chance to go to a store with a large selection of mandolins to try report leaving with a 500 series.

I made a commitment to buy a mandolin, so I decided to buy it from The Mandolin Store. I knew that if it wasn't just right that they would work with and advise me what to get if my selection wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. I could send it back and they would have a better idea of what I wanted than I would and would have it in stock to send out.

Keep in mind that it might take a bit of shipping time for exchanges and the freight bill is your puppy.

All in all, I figured it would cost less and happen sooner than if I waited for the chance to get to a store with even half of the selection staffed by a bunch of guitar players.

I cannot think of any complaint with my dealings with Dennis and staff and expect that any new mandolins I buy in the future will come from them.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I agree with Greg. Also, if you do decide to trade up in the future, you will be able to sell the 504 for a reasonable proportion of what you paid for it new.

If you were going to invest over a thousand bucks and were a more experienced player then it would be well worth taking Scott's advice, but for where you are right now, in my opinion you will not go far wrong by taking Greg's and buying the 504 from the mandolinstore.com.
  5. TonyE
    TonyE
    Thanks all,
    I see the 504 back ordered at themandolinstore, giannaviolins, and elderly. That's the main reason I mention the 604. There seem to be a least a few out there. I can sit on it a few weeks. Christmas travel gives me the opportunity to visit another store or two. I am anxious to get started.
  6. sbarnes
    sbarnes
    if you buy from a reputable dealer - mandolin store, gianna, etc....it'll probably be ok......but do not buy from someone you haven't heard about on the cafe just because of a good price alone....
    i just did it and had to spend over $100 more for a set up....
    play it in person or buy from reliable dealers... it'll wind up costing about the same and you'll save much frustration