What do you play ?

1. bevb
    bevb
    Thought it would be interesting to know what you all play.
    I've got a Jerman and an Almuse. Almuse is like a mini telecaster with powerful single coil pickup and the Jerman sort of Les Paul shape with a coil tapped humbucker. Got a couple of acoustics too, and a tenor banjo...well why wouldn't you ?!
    Bev
  2. Tiburon Slim
    Tiburon Slim
    I've only been playing mando for about a year, so I'm a bit of a bottom feeder: I've got an eight-string Eastwood, an inexpensive, Chinese-made variation on a Mandocaster. I have to say that I really like it so far, but it's the only electric I've ever played, so I lack a bit of perspective.

One thing that limits my choices is my preference for an eight-string. I'm addicted to the double-course sound, and for single-string, bendy stuff, I've got my '66 Telecaster. I wish more boutique builders were turning out eight-strings, but I guess there's more demand for five- and four-strings.
  3. Barry Mando
    Barry Mando
    Yo bevb! I absolutely love the Tele!! Is it a Baritone? I have an Esquire ive been wanting to convert but not sure how. Anyway, I mostly play my 5 string Rono Bari which is the profile pic for this particular group and my acoustic is a Heritage H-5. Thanks for the pics.

Tiburon, I bet the your Tele sounds great. As far as single string vs. double string for electric I tend to go for the single. Mostly because I am a mando player who likes to do guitar-esque things. Bending, effects and beautiful Jazz chord melodies are some of my favorite things and would rather do them on the greatest instrument than the second best : ) Basically, Im a mando player stuck in a guitar players world. Thanks for posting.
  4. bevb
    bevb
    No it's a mando...14" scale length. Nice in't it ?!
  5. rico mando
    I use a steve ryder 14.5 scale 5 string and a 4 string mando bird depending on what else is in the band. i have a fender 5 string being neglected since the ryder came into my hands. oh and some gibson acoustics and a sawchin acoustic that i seldom play. time to let some things go. on another note i love my boss gt-10 put through my gibson goldtone amp. 2 15 in speakers, 8 tubes. single string instruments are what brought me back to playing. love those screaming rock solo's . sustain has set me free ,string bending and loop pedals love it all
  6. mandroid
    mandroid
    4, a tweaked A50 I got already converted to a CGDA 4 string, good Jazz warm sound, SD stacked humbucker was installed , and a pretty massive brass Tun-o-matic style 4 string notched bridge.
    a solid body 4 string (I'ts 'A' style pear shaped alder bodied arched thing with a Lace sensor pickup.
    I had a second pickup set installed in the bridge 4 RMC piezos that drive a couple Roland GR synth modules ,
    soon as I got it home from the retrofit installation I found out the E string ran out of patches too soon, so It's CGDA tuned now also, only instrument I've had custom built [Greg Biller , then in Eugene}
    neck bolts on, and the whole back is a piece of Baltic Birch 5 ply 1/4" ply (my Idea) it screws off , so the retrofit was easy, no ship-in-a-bottle techniques needed.

Recovered, sort of, from the Rono Embezzling my build deposit !cashed money orders is all I got !.. by sending Karma Curses ,
    [couldn't even get a police report out of the F***ing Boulder PD to try to Write off the theft loss]

Got the Last Pentalin Pentaula, a 15 ~15-5/16 scale , shipped it Back to Steve Ryder to shave down and refinish the baseball bat thick neck , [ if it was right for him, Alex Gregory must have hands like Shaquille O'Neal ] and He, Steve, not Shaq, retro fitted the 5 bridge pieces with another RMC product, also to use synth gear.
    It's now got some pretty heavy strings, and is tuned down a whole step from its 'normal' AEBF#C# to like an Octave . GDAEB.
    they share the same RMC polydrive2 black box for the 13 pin and 2 1/4" outputs ..

Got a ROK Fender FM61 8 string too ,changes : swapped scratch plates entirely,
    and put a new pickup, gang pots and a jack on the plate, so If a buyer wants the original parts they are there ,
    and if bargaining to buy it at a discount.. I'd keep the new bits and make it as originally sold.

FWIW the Fender rarely leaves its case, of late.. [like the Mix A5 with the Schertler under the bridge foot better for 8 stringness]

7. Barry Mando
    Barry Mando
    Mandroid, I love to see some pics of those beauties. Especially Pentaula.
  8. mandoman56
    mandoman56
    My A-style and F-style are now joined by my new Epiphone Mandobird IV that I run through a Line 6 half-stack ... more fun than I can describe ....
  9. mandroid
    mandroid
    this : http://www.emando.com/images/builders/Biller.jpg

4 RMC divided bridge piezos & the Lace sensor pickup, combine at the 8 pin connector ,

and at the other end of the cable are spit again at the RMC poly drive 2 black box,

for a piezo bridge mono, [V& EQ are in the box] and the Magnetic pickup Mono, [it's just a passive pass thru],

and the 13 pin patch cord to Roland pitch to midi synth modules.

Any one else actually get to use a synth and their E-Mando gig, in the real world ? , I just use it in my apartment,

no body to play it out with, any way. Currently just a casual jam that's mostly acoustic with a few friends .

10. tstackhouse
    tstackhouse
    Just received my brand new Mann SEM-5 cherry-burst. Sweet.
  11. Barry Mando
    Barry Mando
    Nice can we see some pics tstackhouse?
  12. rico mando
    newly acquired 66 fender posting pic
  13. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    I plan to acquire either a Kentucky or a Gold Tone in the next year. Right now I have my acoustic Eastman 605.
  14. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    I just purchased a Kentucky 300e and I'm putting a Bill Lawrence pickup in it.
  15. mr.Bill
    mr.Bill
    got a fender now but want a seafoam green alden! how do i get one here in the states? i could settle for a black eastwood but would rather have the seafoam alden!!!!please help me i have not slept well since i found pics of that thing.
  16. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Just starting to offer recordings of my Ryder. An original slow samba is up now at
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...919#post857919
    and I've completed a decent take of Hot Rod Lincoln with all verses, as well as the head to Mercy, Mercy. Those will be up shortly at the 4, 5, and 8 string electric board.

Here's the original, right-click and "save link as" to download if your embedded player has trouble with a 1 Mb file:
    http://www.twtunes.com/pages/TryAgain.mp3
  17. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Another song head, Mercy, Mercy

Used a Sonic Distortion pedal for the overdrive on this one.

Full address:

http://www.twtunes.com/pages/Mercy.mp3
  18. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Here's my Ryder using its bridge pickup with slight overdrive from the Crate amp head, me doing the voice for Hot Rod Lincoln: http://www.twtunes.com/pages/HotRod.mp3
  19. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    A roundup of solo tunes so far, including adaptations from John Scofield, Bill Frisell, and the Beatles:
    http://www.twtunes.com/pages/mando%20clips1.htm

Best to download if your browser has trouble playing these, since they are not streaming.
  20. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    I just got a JBovier EMC-4 and absolutely love it.
    I picked it up assuming it would be my 'starter' e-mando, and that I'd want to upgrade in the near future to a custom build...
    Frankly, I can't imagine needing more e-mando.
    This thing is pretty sweet!
  21. Buffalo Sam
    Buffalo Sam
    I've been playing an Apitius 10-string for nearly 20 years now [Oliver built it for me in 1992], but I recently picked up a Fender FM60E five string. Looking forward to woking up an electric set with my buddies on their strats and teles. Horsepower!!!
  22. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    I play an Epiphone Mandobird VIII, bought in January. Added the moongazer adjustable bridge and Almuse pickup right away, replaced the plastic nut with bone. Knowing me, it's just the start...
  23. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Six months in on the JBovier EMC-4, and I'm still enjoying it. She was a big hit at 'Jim Richter's Rock & Blues Mandolin Camp'!
    Now thinking of adding a higher-end custom shop e-mando (JL Smith, Jerman, Mann, other?). I really like the look of a Telecaster, so maybe Smith is the frontrunner (?).
    Will almost certainly go to a small all-tube amp also.
    The deeper I get into my mandolin journey, the more I feel that the solid-bodied e-mando (or e-o-mando) is the most appropriate tool for my mandolin expression. Once a rocker...
  24. moledalin
    moledalin
    My main eMando is a Harmony "batwing" with homemade pickup and vol. control I use a Fishman Amp that runs thru the board. I also have a 1953 Gibson EM150, Godin A8, Epiphone "mandobird VIII" with EMG Select pickup, Fender FM61, Kentucky KM100 "pancake" with homemade pickup, Eastwood "mandocaster", Applause Ovation with +OP24 electronics, A Saga 4 string kit, a couple of Cigar Box Mandos 5 & 8 strings. Right now I'm "hot rodding" an old Harmony Shutt and making a version of a Tiny Moore Model Roberts from scratch.
  25. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Moledalin; lovin' those pics you posted!
  26. moledalin
    moledalin
    Thanks Ed
  27. Chief
    Chief
    JL Smith 5 string (my favorite axe), Harmony Batwing, Schwab 5 string, and an Airline Mandola- customized into a 4 string.
  28. padawan
    padawan
    I bought a Michael Kelly Legacy Festival (MKLFSTB) acoustic a few weeks ago and after proper set up I loved it.
    Then... 2 days ago while cruising Craigslist I found a Mandobird. About an hour later the deal was done and I was off to pick up an amp.

The bird is an VIII that is in near perfect shape but suffering in the typical nut, bridge and pickup departments. Thanks to digging into this site I've got my pickup and bridge picked out and will probably have a pro do the nut.

If anyone is interested I picked up a Fender Mustang I amp (only $109) to be able to practice with it. That little thing is a beast. It has a bunch of preset amp models and each one is re-programmable either manually with the knobs and buttons or through software (it hooks up to your computer via USB). So far my PC doesn't like the software drivers but even without that I think this thing is easily worth the price. You can even get a foot switch for it so you can flip between a rhythm and lead setup on the fly. Pretty cool for a low $$$ amp.

I'm having more fun with the amp than the Mandobird, at least now while it isn't set up properly. I'm sure the neighbors love it too!