A-model social group.

1. gonzograss
    gonzograss
    I have a blond A built by John Hamlett and I love it. Stellar workmanship, great sound. Just an all-round wonderful instrument.
    My other A is a hot-rod. Originally it was a mid 70s Givens ODE, and I still consider it a Givens, even though it has had the top replaced, and extensive cosmetic add-ons (headstock and fingerboard and back binding; peghead inlays, etc.) It has an ancient Fishman bridge pickup that I've used only for about a year (10 years ago, in a country band), but think very highly of. It's on its 3rd set of tuners, 2nd set of frets, has had the neck reshaped to make it more v-like than it was, and has a Hamlett tailpiece, which I like a lot. Certainly much better than the jangly, annoying Gibson-type it had on it for years (topless and ugly). It has that "fat" Givens sound and plenty of volume (kicked butt in many a bluegrass jam). It's a sweet and powerful instrument that has improved steadily over the years. In the late 70s I traded an Alvarez even up for this mando and am still grinning.
    Any of Bob Givens's instruments I've played have been fine in both sound, workmanship, and playability. Wouldn't trade this old warhorse for a barn full of [brand names deleted].
    ~~Joe Hannabach
  2. Marni Sorrick
    Marni Sorrick
    So post a photo for us!
  3. Jeffrey Sawyer
    Jeffrey Sawyer
    I have a Rouge. Being a total newb I didn't want to shell out a lot of bucks for a cool decoration. I play everyday now tho and am getting better. Not sure how to add a photo?
  4. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hello people!

I have a Flatbush A4 that I love dearly. A beauty with a wonderful sound!

5. Dobes2TBK
    Dobes2TBK
    I started with a Sweet Pea, had some repetitive motion issues stemming from wrist angle, went to a Montana, and have recently upgraded to a Mid-Mo (with a Strad-o-lin on the side). I'm back to playing the Sweet Pea on occassion, only I pick over the fretboard, instead of the hole now. It takes the angle out of the wrist, the insertion in my back doesn't hurt nor does my elbow, from playing it.

yeah, just a little bit of MAS/MIAS there. I've got a couple dulcimers yet on my wish list...
  6. JP Mando
    JP Mando
    I have a Summit A model that's just FUN to play -- sweeter than my F models.. but can certainly hold its own.
  7. Steve Zawacki
    Steve Zawacki
    Have decided I'm not an F-style guy (not into bluegrass) and just traded my one-and-only F for an Eastman MD504. Have a cadre of As including a couple flat-tops. for rock and R&B, As are just more "throaty" in sound.
  8. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Hi JP and welcome.
    Your Summit and my Mike Black A's. are relatives.
    Mike worked in Paul's shop when he was learning to build.
    Gary
  9. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    A welcome to you also Steve.
    I see in your picture you have good start of a nice collection.
    Five A's, a bird and some sort of farm implement.
    Just kidding. That little traveling mando looks kinda cool.
    Bet you get some looks when you pull it out to play.
    Gary
  10. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    My Jbovier a5 is such fun. I am in the process of ordering a mandola, deciding on F or A, but for now will probably go with one by Max and Lauri. So the A because I wish to play jazz and classical and Celtic.
  11. Steve Zawacki
    Steve Zawacki
    Modified my photo to just include the "As" currently in the stable. One has left (a The Loar 400) which was traded for a tenor guitar. Still have the MandoBird and the RISA, but they don't get much playing time.
  12. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Tenors are a lot of fun. Enjoy.
    Gary
  13. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Glad I found this group. All of the mandolins I have owned (with the exception of a bowlback) have been A-style mandolins. I am fortunate in that I STRONGLY prefer A-style over F-style mandolins aesthetically, so I really do not have to sacrifice anything to get "all the sound at half the price". My current mandolin is a c.1965 Harmony Monterey that is a real overachiever!

14. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    I prefer a style mandolins and mandolas. Aesthetically the F is tempting, but for now the A will have to do in terms of price range. Anyhow I must say the sound of A style is preferred, I prefer playing jazz, classical and celtic music.
  15. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    That's a very clean old Harmony Ed. Looks like new.
    I'd like to find a little beauty like that.
    I bet your pick cost more than the mandolin did new.
    Gary
  16. GreenCoMick
    GreenCoMick
    Greetings fellow A types! I have a Red Valley oval hole A type, absolutely love it! I just prefer the sound and aesthetics of A to F style mandos, find the F's a tad too aggresive and thin sounding...Glad to find the group!! I'd post a photo but don't know how to do this....
  17. GreenCoMick
    GreenCoMick
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1403236855
    Hope this works....anyone else having trouble just adding a photo to a post???
  18. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Welcome GCM. Can't see your Red Valley. I've had trouble loading pictures also.
    I don't know if it's a Mac thing or just me.
    I have loaded pictures into an album on my profile page.
    Then they are easy to load onto threads from there.
    Gary
  19. GreenCoMick
    GreenCoMick
    Thanks much! I've uploaded to an album, so now I'll try to add the images....how do I know what url to select to actually add the images to my post???? I love the cafe, but stuff like this irritates the hell out of me. Shouldn't be this counter-intuitive! When I click on add image, I just get a URL box, no thumbnails....do I go back to album and do a copy/paste?
  20. GreenCoMick
    GreenCoMick
  21. Zeb Williams
    Zeb Williams
    Hello, I just purchased my first "A" style mandolin - it's a Collins MT2 I was playing a Loaf F style and still have it - the Collins seems to have a woodier tone and so far I love it.