Week #32 ~ Rakes of Kildare

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I had to have a second go at this. This time, I decided to lose all those fancy filters and limiters and switch my preamp to "neutral". I like it better this way.

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice set there, Bertram! I can just imagine the rest of the session coming together around your playing.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Dennis, and yes, that is what usually happens: with Tenpenny Bit they all join in, then come Sliabh Russel and Out on the Ocean...
  4. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    In addition to the A Dorian version, whose abcs Barbara posted in the first message in this thread, The Rakes Of Kildare is also played in G Major (in a setting which forms the basis for songs such as "Thank God We're Surrounded By Water" and its parody, "Dollymount Strand". In fact the two are often played as a set - the G Major first and the A Dorian version afterwards.

Here's my take on the A Dorian version.

And here's my take on the G Major version.

Both were recorded early in the morning and I didn't want to earn scowls of displeasure all day from my neighbours (and my partner...!), so I played both tunes fairly quietly on my quietest mandolin, my Paris Swing "Macaferri" model...
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting variations between the two, Aidan. I am more used to the first one, but the second, in G, has its own attractions. Fine, clean playing again.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another. One of my favourites.
    Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/PQiyNP_OEvs
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The man with the hat without head and not out in the woods … but with the usual great picking!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No warmup. It was hard as I had an critical audience - family!
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great playing of a very fine tune, Simon.
  10. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Cool tune really well played, as always.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great tune, Simon! Try this in a set of Tobin's Favourite, Ten Penny Bit, Rakes of Kildare. It works very well.
  12. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely Simon, it makes you want to dance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12