View RSS Feed

Brae

Im excited about my new "upper neck playing" lessons

Rate this Entry
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146581[/ATTACH]

The mandolin is such a tiny little thing, heck out entire fingerboard is barely two feet of territory to explore.
And so much of us get stuck playing beneath the
5th fret because, well, it's just comfortable and familiar and...well, why should we do anything different?

I've been spending some time (finally) delving into the dark nether regions of the upper mandolin neck, and I can say that it is quite a jungle. First of all, as soon as we move past the 7th fret there's barely room to breath, and if you have pudgy pickle fingers like me (I'm Irish) than you're [I]really [/I]in a...well, pickle! But, if you are diligent and keep at it, the rewards to learning to move into the higher registers are many, and all of a sudden you find you have a whole new instrument! And, best yet, it really annoys the dogs :-)

Being a mandolin teacher as well, I decided that i didn't want anyone else to have to go thru the BS I did trying to find easy-to-understand mandolin instruction on how to play up the neck, so, I made my own! Yep, boys and girls, I now welcome you to the "How to play up the neck in the key of G, using the easy pentatonic scales, and not having to learn any boring music theory" video! Check it out and let me know what y'all think, and I hope to get your ideas for what my next one should be about!
Keep on pickin
-Brae

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEr7cvgBhg"]Playing Up The Neck - Mandolin Lessons[/URL]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146582[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	destruction_rains_by_emo_kid_matt.png 
Views:	560 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	146581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProfessorRobot-1.png 
Views:	382 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	146582  

Submit "Im excited about my new "upper neck playing" lessons" to Facebook Submit "Im excited about my new "upper neck playing" lessons" to Yahoo Submit "Im excited about my new "upper neck playing" lessons" to Google

Comments