View RSS Feed

The Fifth Course

In Rochester. Um, no not New York. Rochester, England

Rate this Entry
Seriously, I had no idea England had a Rochester too. But every time I come across an English city with the same name as an American one, like Boston, I think, "Well duh. They had to get the name somewhere,"

In any case Rochester is a lovely little town that holds a medieval castle and cathedral. They have a folk festival there every year called Rochester Sweeps Festival. I appeared on Sunday the 5th of May at the Busker's Corner. The stage was set up between the castle and the cathedral, and because it was Sunday with a service in the cathedral I had to go into full-busk mode. No PA, even though one was present on the stage.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Danielin Rochester.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	101833
The Mix F5 performed admirably throughout, it sounded great stayed in tune in the full sun, and was loud enough. I was missing my Vessel F5 a bit because it's louder and has a bit more headroom than the Mix. I left the Vessel home for a couple of reasons. 1) If I brought more than 1 mandolin, I would either need to carry both or leave one in the car on a hot --for England-- sunny day. 2) Three adults and a small baby in a Citroën C3 make for a full automobile quickly, and space was at a premium. I wanted to take my Weber alto-mando as well --for that matter, a guitar would have been nice too-- but three or four instruments would have been out of the question. (I need a bigger car!)

The second gig of the day, a tweener during a 2 set gig by The Bounty Hounds, proved that I had the more appropriate of the two mandolins. I was plugged in and powered up to rock 'n roll levels. The Schertler in the Mix performed admirably and the 4 song set was very well received.

Next up, Orpington at the end of June. Is there an Orpington in the US?

Submit "In Rochester.  Um, no not New York. Rochester, England" to Facebook Submit "In Rochester.  Um, no not New York. Rochester, England" to Yahoo Submit "In Rochester.  Um, no not New York. Rochester, England" to Google

Comments

In case you didn't figure it out, Rochester = Rock Castle. So it makes sense that there is a nice castle in Rochester (Kent, not NY, not MN). Chester (UK, PA...) just means "Castle" in vernacular Latin.
    Orpington chickens, is all I know.