View RSS Feed

Stephen Cagle

"My life" as a mandolin player...

Rate this Entry
I started playing mandolin in high school. I found out it was truely in my blood. My mother and father was taking me to bluegrass festivals almost every weekend so it was really seeping in at a very young age. My first festival was Raccoon Creek at age 7. I got my first mandolin at age 13 and that is where the madness began. My first group I was in was called "I'll have to come back to it, I honestly can't remember". Second group was the most longest running show. It was "Misery River" We won multiple conterst from the late 80's to the mid 90's. Top winning show at that time was winning Dhalonega Bluegrass Festival band contest I think in 93'. We got to play on Saturday's line up. We were put between Doyle Lawson and the Seldom Scene. I broke a mandolin string and went back stage to change it and John Duffy was setting back stage by himself. I remember him saying "man thats a bummer aint it" We had just started on a seldom scene song they had recorded sereral years before "Alabama Clay". John said how about I come out and sing it with you guys...of course I said "please would you". Put on my string, went back out and John followed. The crowd was so loud it was almost deffning. I have pic's that are instant poloroid pictures, I will have to try to scan them in to my computer. Well I will have to find them first then scan. Really great memories. After that the name changed several times and members also changed several times as well. Misery River, New Horizons, Backwaters to Main Stream. From the late 90's on I consentrated on my craft and style and just played here and there filling in with whoever needed a mando player at that time. My practice paid off in 06' when I got a call from Ray Deaton (x bassist for IIIrd T O). I went on the road for a festival season and played just about every big festival there is. I hear he is getting ready to start his new band soon after taking some time off with his health so I'm just setting back waiting for a call! We will just have to wait and see what happens. Everyone take care and I will talk to everyone soon. Stephen Cagle

Submit ""My life" as a mandolin player..." to Facebook Submit ""My life" as a mandolin player..." to Yahoo Submit ""My life" as a mandolin player..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized