View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #144 w/ Special Guest Caleb Klauder

Rate this Entry
This week country music and old time mandolinist extraordinaire Caleb Klauder picks a traditional tune for us on his trusty John Sullivan F5 mandolin.

Caleb represents the best of the Northwest music scene and his music has inspired many people across the globe. He has been touring nationally and internationally for over 20 years. First Caleb toured with acclaimed folk-rock band Calobo, and now he has been leading his own band, the Caleb Klauder Band, since 2000, a venue for his original and timeless songs. And he is a founding member of the widely celebrated Foghorn Stringband, with whom he tours regularly.

Here Caleb gives the details on the mandolin in this video, "My mandolin is a 1999 John Sullivan F5. He was a Portland builder who passed away in 2006. He made fiddles and guitars too. Mine has a one piece top and a one piece back. European spruce top with a sugar maple back. I call it Sugar. He named most of his mandos but not mine. I’ve been the only owner of it. John handed it to me on stage during a gig in Portland in October of 1999. I was stoked. The mandolin and I fought for about 8 years and then after beating it into submission it started reacting the way I wanted it to. It’s got a few cracks, one caused by someone else and one just appeared out of nowhere. But it’s all sound and works great. It has a radiused fingerboard and a round neck (Not V). The highest note is a C and it sounds great up there."

Also, connect with Caleb at the following links below for more information about his music and tour schedule:

https://calebklauder.com/
http://foghornstringband.com/

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #144 w/ Special Guest Caleb Klauder" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #144 w/ Special Guest Caleb Klauder" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #144 w/ Special Guest Caleb Klauder" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Haven't had tons of instructors but Caleb was one of the best. Thanks David for bringing him to the weekly feature.
    Welcome, Caleb! Great playing, great tune.
    I love hearing Caleb's Sullivan mando! (...and every Sullivan for that matter. Andrew Marlin was picking one for a while too.)

Nice picking Caleb. Really enjoyed this one.
    Excellent picking Caleb!

I really dig how the Sullivan sounds.
    Love Caleb’s playing. And that Sullivan is a beast!
    I have already reserved a place at the house concert he will be doing in Portland (OR) in early December. Check his website for details. I hope to see some of my MC friends there. He and his style have been on my "awesome" list since I first heard one of his air-hammer tremolos.
    Great job Caleb!
    Been following Caleb for a long time! Check out all of his Foghorn String Band videos some time - there are many. He gets that woody sound out of a mandolin like almost no other. He is the man!
    He's a great, enthusiastic musician and instructor and his Sullivan is a fine instrument. I was at a festival in Tygh Valley, Oregon this past weekend and there were two other Sullivan mandolins there and both were really great mandolins.
    Updated Oct-04-2018 at 12:40am by Jim Roberts