View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #131 w/ Special Guest Hayes Griffin

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Grand Rapids multi-instrumentalist Hayes Griffin brings us an original tune for this week’s Mandolin Mondays played on a Isabel mandolin made by luthier Wes Archer in Zanesville, OH.

New England Conservatory graduate Hayes has performed with acts such as Canadian fiddle virtuoso April Verch and the contemporary bluegrass band NewTown. Now he currently performs in a duo with mandolinist Nate Roberts, in addition to the progressive bluegrass group Fauxgrass. Hayes also runs the transcription and arrangement company Built to Last Music—a service that produces transcriptions designed to your exact specifications that clearly capture and represent what was played on a recording. Check it out here: www.btlmusicnotes.com

Here’s Hayes with a word about the tune in this video, “Chickasha was written backstage before a show with April Verch at The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma in 2013. I had been listening to a lot of Byron Berline on that trip (he lives just up the road in Guthrie, OK) and I know that had to be a huge influence on the writing of this tune.”

Connect with Hayes at the following links below for more information about his music, touring schedule, and private lessons.

www.btlmusicnotes.com
www.hayesgriffin.com
https://www.facebook.com/hayesgriffin...
https://www.instagram.com/hayesgriffin/

You can also contact me through my website to get a transcription of Hayes’ playing on this video: https://www.davidbenedictmusic.com/co...

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #131 w/ Special Guest Hayes Griffin" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #131 w/ Special Guest Hayes Griffin" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #131 w/ Special Guest Hayes Griffin" to Google

Comments

Great playing, Hayes. Welcome!
    Great tune.
    Can't decide if I enjoyed the tune or the tasteful picking the most!

Might have review MM#131 a few more times and steal as much as I am able.

Thank you,Mandolin Mondays and David Benedict!
    Good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe
    Great playing, Hayes. Welcome!
    Much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by V70416
    Can't decide if I enjoyed the tune or the tasteful picking the most!

Might have review MM#131 a few more times and steal as much as I am able.

Thank you,Mandolin Mondays and David Benedict!
    Steal away my friend! I've got a PDF in tab and standard notation of what I played here, so message me here if you'd like a copy!

- Hayes
    Hayes, you're welcome to upload it on the regular part of the Forum. The blog comments don't have a utility for uploading PDFs, just images. It's a great piece of music.
    I saw Hayes on tour with April Verch. A great sideman who is stepping out as a great performer in his own right. Well done!