View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #125 w/ Special Guest Liam Purcell

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
North Carolina-based mandolinist Liam Purcell joins us for Mandolin Mondays with an original tune played on his Sprite Two-Point Sorenson mandolin

Fifteen-year-old Liam Purcell is a multi-instrumentalist from Deep Gap, North Carolina, who you will most often see on stage with his fellow bandmates in their band, Cane Mill Road. Liam plays mandolin and fiddle, sings, and writes many of the songs for the group. He is also a certified Wernick Method instructor and enjoys teaching folks how to make music together. He runs a home studio for himself and others, and is currently working on a solo project there.

Liam also plays with the young band, Cane Mill Road and is already making waves in the bluegrass scene. You can check out their most recent release here: https://www.canemillroad.com/store

Here's Liam with word about the music in this video: "The tune is called Lindale, it's kinda fiddle tuney and I was listening to a lot of John Reischman and Chris Thile around the time I wrote it! Cane Mill Road recently finished up with our second album which will come out soon! I've used our time off since the album to work on a solo project (which this tune is on!) and folks can look for that later in the year"

Liam is sponsored by Sorensen Mandolins, GHS Strings, Shubb Capos, Deering Banjos, and Bob Kogut Violins.

Connect with Liam at the following links below for more information about his music and performance schedule:

https://www.facebook.com/liamcallowaypurcell/
www.canemillroad.com
https://www.facebook.com/canemillroad
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4...vcmjqn_KRuxbrQ

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #125 w/ Special Guest Liam Purcell" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #125 w/ Special Guest Liam Purcell" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #125 w/ Special Guest Liam Purcell" to Google

Comments

Welcome, Liam. Nicely played! Folks, watch, there's a great right-hand in action. Left too for that matter.
    Liam was on the instructor staff at the Pre-Merlefest Wernik Jam Camp this year which I attended as a "jammer". He was knowledgeable, friendly, and did a great job of helping us improve our improv and jamming skills.

He's obviously talented, but also one of the nicest guys you'll every meet!
    (That Sorenson sounded even better in person.)
    When I first met Liam, I think he was 10.

We were at IBMA World of Bluegrass 2013, and I had so much fun watching this prodigious little boy drag his father around the Exhibition Hall for several days as he tried every mandolin that he could get his hands on. I'm fairly sure he made the circuit once or twice a day for 3 or 4 days.

Finally, towards the end of the weekend, he brought his Dad back to my booth, and informed us that he really wanted a Sorensen Sprite Two-Point. The three of us had a little discussion about the seriousness of this commitment, and shortly thereafter, William (Dad) left a deposit check with me.

Ironically, when I finished Liam's Sprite build, I had done a twin pair of instruments which were slightly different in tone and response. I had been so impressed with Liam over the years, that I decided to send him BOTH mandolins for test-drives.

Liam had the two instruments for a while and very carefully compared the traits of both instruments. Finally, after a month or so, he chose the instrument that he is playing here.

When I got the second mandolin back, it was in pristine, like-new condition! A stunning feat for any player who works instruments as thoroughly as Liam does!

It has been a sheer delight to watch and work with Liam as his playing skills continue to develop.

Ironically, I was listening to Cane Mill Road's first CD, Five Speed, this weekend. Those boys have serious chops!

Steve
    Updated May-21-2018 at 6:13pm by Steve Sorensen (Added CD link)
    Great job Liam!!!
    I really enjoyed this one!
    Hey Liam - This is great, man! I remember you from Kaufman Kamp 2 years ago, great to hear you playing here!
    Thanks for the comments everyone!