View RSS Feed

alexheflin

Goodnight Irene - Traditional [Acoustic]

Rate this Entry
Hey guys! I went after another traditional tune this week. Here's my rendition of Goodnight Irene.

Submit "Goodnight Irene - Traditional [Acoustic]" to Facebook Submit "Goodnight Irene - Traditional [Acoustic]" to Yahoo Submit "Goodnight Irene - Traditional [Acoustic]" to Google

Comments

A very nice performance, but it is not really a traditional song. Recorded versions of the song credit Gussie Davis, one of the first African-Americans to become a popular song writer, and Huddie Ledbetter (Leadbelly), who modified the tune and rewrote the lyrics. Davis' version was published in 1886 and Leadbelly recorded his version in 1933. The Weavers had the first commercial success with it in 1950.

Davis and Leadbelly deserve recognition for writing this classic, just as Gershwin and Heyward deserve credit for "Summertime" (1934).
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartE
    A very nice performance, but it is not really a traditional song. Recorded versions of the song credit Gussie Davis, one of the first African-Americans to become a popular song writer, and Huddie Ledbetter (Leadbelly), who modified the tune and rewrote the lyrics. Davis' version was published in 1886 and Leadbelly recorded his version in 1933. The Weavers had the first commercial success with it in 1950.

Davis and Leadbelly deserve recognition for writing this classic, just as Gershwin and Heyward deserve credit for "Summertime" (1934).
    Awesome! I've been wanting to know where the song came from for years. Of course I know the lead belly version, but I believe he said he learned it from relatives. I couldn't find any information before that, which is why I said it was a traditional tune. I was missing the Gussie Davis info. Thanks much!