View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #53 - w/ Special Guest Joe K Walsh

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Throughout 2017 I’m really excited to be using this weekly Mandolin Monday video format as a way of connecting with and featuring other mandolinists. I'll still be making videos, but I’m also having some of my mandolin friends make videos of their own solo mandolin arrangements to feature here on my Cafe blog. And what better way to start the new year off than with the inimitable Joe K Walsh on his amazing new Nugget mando.

Joe is an amazing player and composer. He has played with a number of incredible groups over the years: The Gibson Brother, Joy Kills Sorrow, and Mr. Sun. Now, he teaches at the prestigious Berklee School of Music and tours with his own group, playing music from his fantastic new record Borderlands. Joe first gave me the idea of hosting guests mandolinists on MM, and was gracious enough to send me this stellar solo jazz arrangement to share with you all.

Here's Joe talking about the tune: "I've always loved Thelonious Monk's record Solo Monk, and especially dug his stride-style take on the standard "I'm Confessin' That I Love You." I came across a video of Wynton Marsalis tossing off a fluid solo version of this, too, and it got me re-inspired to try my hand at it. Stride mandolin! Doesn't really work! But it sent me off an interesting direction."

Connect with Joe and check out his music here: www.joekwalsh.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skinnyelephantmusic/
instagram: https://www.instagram.com/j_k_walsh/

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #53 - w/ Special Guest Joe K Walsh" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #53 - w/ Special Guest Joe K Walsh" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #53 - w/ Special Guest Joe K Walsh" to Google

Updated Jan-02-2017 at 11:54am by dbmandolin

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is soooo cool! Thank you, David, and Joe!
    Blogs be needing a LIKE button!
    Love it!

Thanks Joe!