View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

Slowing Down YouTube Videos Without Software

Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
A recent video posted by the very fine mandolin player David Benedict reminded us of a YouTube feature many are probably not aware of. Once in awhile you're going to run into an arrangement of a piece of music you'd like to learn but it's played at a speed that's beyond what your ears and brain can handle.

Solution:

YouTube has a feature built right into the video where you can slow the audio down to half and quarter speeds while the pitch is retained. It couldn't be simpler but we'll toss some screen shots in here so you can see for yourself. Click each image to get a better view.

Step 1: Click on the round Settings wheel in the image below highlighted in a red box (our highlighting) in the lower right-hand corner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	youtube1.jpg 
Views:	1235 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	142409

Step 2: Click the Speed option

Name:	youtube2.jpg 
Views:	1007 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	142410

Step 3: Select a speed you'd like to listen back at.

Name:	youtube3.jpg 
Views:	882 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	142411

Done! Hit play.

If you'd had too much coffee and the music is too slow, you can even speed it up! Have fun.

Submit "Slowing Down YouTube Videos Without Software" to Facebook Submit "Slowing Down YouTube Videos Without Software" to Yahoo Submit "Slowing Down YouTube Videos Without Software" to Google

Updated Jan-05-2016 at 4:55pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
General Mandolin Comments

Comments

Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize this was an option. I was just watching someone take a break on Reuben with a clean shot of the fretboard and I was wishing I could slow it down. Presto. Done.
    Scott, thanks for pointing this out.
    Thanks Scott, now what excuse do I use when I can't play the tune?!

Note: the speed adjust option does not appear when I'm using Internet Explorer browser for youtube, but does appear when I use Google Chrome.
    Great tip Scott, thanks!
    I use this a lot, I just wish they had a 0.75 speed option.
    Those 3 pictures explain it fast and efficiently, however it shouldn't be news to anyone as I posted a quick video of how to do half-speed YouTube back in September:

[YOUTUBE=DttCIKAeAYw][/YOUTUBE]
    (or direct link)

It was posted in the MandolinCafe thread called Slowing down You Tube video .

Still, good to have a reminder of these things once in a while.
    disturbingly easy...how long has that been there?
    (sound of me kicking my self)
    thanks Scott, once again the Cafe is the best.
    many thanks Scott
    i did not know this

d
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I use this a lot, I just wish they had a 0.75 speed option.
    I wrote a little script recently to remedy this very issue. It's a "bookmarklet," meaning you just have to create a bookmark with the code and then click the bookmark when you're on a YouTube page.
    Here is the thread I posted about it: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ube+slowdowner