View RSS Feed

Mark Wilson

Who put the mas in Christmas?

Rate this Entry
Sitting at home on Sunday waiting for the Panthers to play. Perfectly content.

Took an glance at the Cafe classifieds to see if it goes over 400 mandolins (went to 397)

Next thing I know, I think I've found my Christmas present.

90 mintues later I'm at MandoMutt's swapping a sunburst for a blonde.

No pictures atm but it's a 2 Pava home now

No more mas this Christmas!

Submit "Who put the mas in Christmas?" to Facebook Submit "Who put the mas in Christmas?" to Yahoo Submit "Who put the mas in Christmas?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was checking out the Pava Pro at MandoMutt earlier... If I was only 90 minutes away who knows what would have happened! Then again... If I was only 90 minutes away... I may have picked up the Collings MF deluxe earlier this fall and not noticed the Pava. Too many good mandos. Now I'm heading to Nashville on Friday to pick at Carter's, Cotton, and Gruhns!
    Did the MT lose more than its McClung armrest?
    Yeah - it lost a nice strap

Hopefully the MT gains a better picker in the trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer
    Now I'm heading to Nashville on Friday to pick at Carter's, Cotton, and Gruhns!
    Nice - enjoy that. Let us know what catches your fancy.
    Let us know how the two Pava mandolins compare and contrast!
    #69 has the sweetest tone of any mandolin I've personally played. Very balanced but not what you would call bright. Usable but not remarkable chop bark imo. #152 has the same sweet tone but with somewhat brighter and more responsive voice. Kinda best of both worlds between the MT and the brown Pava. Sounds more like the Ellis mandolins I played at IBMA. Nice bark if you want it.

Played in my jam group last night and it sounded great on rhythm. Nice cut on solo. It's louder maybe but pleasingly brighter/crisp for sure.

I'm undecided on 'opening up' but if this one matures like my first Pava I will be a happy picker indeed. Has as much maple figuring as the MT so no complaints to the eye. Plays comfortable. I suspected the neck was slimmer and measuring at the 5th fret I found #152 to be 1/16 or so thinner front to back. Also noticed the neck finish is less glossy/sticky than #69. Not sure why but that was a nit on the first one.
    Forgot - the new case appears to be the same Canadian model case but seems cheaper made and definitely is lighter. My only nit - didn't choose for the case and it is serviceable for home use
    So is your plan to enjoy the sweet tones of #69 at home and the responsive voice of #152 with others?