View RSS Feed

lflngpicker

Grateful for a Place to Share my Mandolin for Others

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I have a feeling others can relate. In spite of my physical challenges that come from a rare form of Parkinson's, I was able to join the band today at church.

Seven months ago I had to resign myself to not playing weekly any longer. I was able to play and sing harmony this week and it was such a joy. I used my J Bovier and backed the leader with chords and runs in a fairly traditional styled, gospel set. I just simply played through a nice instrument microphone and sang a third part.

This is something I once took for granted but today I was able to accomplish. I am wiped out this afternoon, but my perspective this morning as I sat near my 29 year old son as he played drums and sang with me, was a priceless experience.

None of us knows how long we'll be able to do these things nor how long we'll be around, even though a particular diagnosis defines that question a bit more. It is one thing to have these beautiful mandolins and guitars I am fortunate to enjoy, it is another to get the opportunity to share their sweet sound with others that are appreciative.

Thursday I will go to the nursing home we frequent and play with my friend as we sing for the patients and staff. This activity keeps me going as does the brain implants that I have that I get adjusted (tuned up) every 6 weeks or so. I am thankful for my wife who drives me to these gigs and carries my extra guitar-- I am the wimp carrying the mandolin! How blessed I am!

Submit "Grateful for a Place to Share my Mandolin for Others" to Facebook Submit "Grateful for a Place to Share my Mandolin for Others" to Yahoo Submit "Grateful for a Place to Share my Mandolin for Others" to Google

Comments

Those seniors love to be entertained! but sometimes I wonder if I love playing to them even more.
    Indeed-- we get more from them than we give at times. I get to play to a live audience (captive audience? ) and the opportunity to lift their spirits and bring smiles. We leave better than we arrived, right my friend?