View RSS Feed

29Palms

appraising "great mandolin sound" ...when builder is unknown?

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Hello... My father repaired violins and mandolins for over 25 years before he passed away. In 1987 he built his first mandolin. According to other players, it has great sound... but "No Name" recognition. Now my Mother's estate wants to sell the mandolin. One professional guitar shop appraised it at $300 to $400. Another shop said they'd hang it on a wall for decoration and ask $35.00. I'm No mandolin player, rather I play a 1957 Epiphone 12-string. A couple other shops want $150 to $250 to complete an appraisal. That route seems unwarranted as the mandolin has "No Name Recognition"... only good sound~!

I'm interested in trying to accurately estimate the value of the mandolin for my Mother's estate... meanwhile, my sister sold Dad's Gibson A-4 for about $2,000 a few years ago. My guess is they will expect roughly the same. I know that is not in the cards...

Thanks for your comments---they are much appreciated.

PS: The mandolin has a great case as well.

marine1

Submit "appraising "great mandolin sound"  ...when builder is unknown?" to Facebook Submit "appraising "great mandolin sound"  ...when builder is unknown?" to Yahoo Submit "appraising "great mandolin sound"  ...when builder is unknown?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like something I would hold on to if you could because it's doubtful it will bring much. We will still need to see pictures.
    Don't sell your dad's mandolin! Keep it! It's not worth selling IMO and it's pretty cool that he built a mandolin that has a good sound. Even if you don't want to play it, it's probably a Great Wall decoration, and maybe a family member might want it
    Keep it for sure. It has so much value as being a hand built item by a family member. And if it has great tone also, that is what really counts in my opinion. I am fascinated by lesser known makers and the one of a kind items that each have something unique about them.