View RSS Feed

Michael Bridges

Phinal Pick Post

Rate this Entry
Since my last entry, I've been continuing to experiment with picks, just looking for different sounds and textures to play with. Here are my latest observations, for what they're worth!
1. Dawg Pick- I'd heard this name for so long, been wanting to try them out, but everybody seemed to be out of stock for the longest time. Finally seemed to come back around, so I ordered a 6 pack. Got to say, that for me at least, these just don't work.The size and shape are fine, but the rounded tips with no bevel, just make everything sound muffled. Hard to impossible for me to get good tone out of my mandolin.Like I say, some folks swear by these, so your experience may be different.
2. V-Picks- I ordered a couple of these to try, heard good reviews from folks who won the Cafe giveaway several weeks ago. First up, the Saga.Similar in size to the Dawg. 1.5mm, a gentle point and nice bevel. Real good tone, picks easy. A lot to like about this one.Next, the Medium Lite Round. Ditto everything from the Saga, but sized like the Wegen M150. More pointy than the 150, and nice overall tone. Like it even better than the Saga, cuz of the size.
Finally Vinni at V-Picks always includes a free Try-Out pick of another type. In this case, I got their Medium Round, what they say is their original design. What a board! 2.75mm, a bit bigger than the Medium Lite, just a bit more point, I think. I figured No Way for something like this! Tried it once, Love It! I don't have to grip it so tight, and it really seems to drive the tone on my Morgan Monroe, especially on the A and E strings.I liked it so much, I ordered 2 more in Ruby Red, just to keep from losing it in the carpet.(The first one was clear) It's now running 1A or 1B with my BC, simply because of the tone I get from it. Highly recommended at least to try!
I'm leaving the Pick Pursuit for now, Think I've reached a level I'm satisfied with.(At least until somebody else comes out with the Newest, Greatest, and Hottest!)

Submit "Phinal Pick Post" to Facebook Submit "Phinal Pick Post" to Yahoo Submit "Phinal Pick Post" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

O.K, I can't figure out how to edit this blog entry, so just a correction: The second V-Pick is actually a "Large Lite Round" instead of medium. That's what I get for trying to do stuff top-of-head!
    Thanks...I always enjoy your blogs!
    Thanks, Lorraine, always nice to hear from you! I know I tend to get a bit wordy, but it is fun to just see your ideas typed out. It forces me to analyze what I'm trying to say more. Ran across your blog tonight. Good stuff! I always value well-thought-out ideas like yours.
    Thanks Michael, for posting your ideas on picks. I have been pursuing the best pick, too. I know it is an individual thing-- right now, in my case, it is a tie between Wegen M100 and Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14. I agree that writing is an important way to stimulate one's growth.