View RSS Feed

Miniature Orchestra

Letter From Shanghai

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
On tour with my day job, missing my lady, preparing to head on to Beijing, after Taipei and Hong Kong. Although I have been doing this for way too long, this time around I am carrying my 10-string, which means I am never bored or wondering what I should do to pass the time until the bus leaves for the show or airport.

The air outside is horrible, but I am a happy camper, practicing my tunes in the hotel. An advantage in bringing the mando is its demure voice, not inherently loud, and satisfying at low volume. This is a great travel instrument, wide pitch range and capable of fully realized solo arrangements. And it always fits in the overhead compartment---it's like having a travel guitar, only better because it is not a compromise.

The solo aspect is a particular pleasure since it is so opposite from the huge sound of the big orchestra, not to mention the demanding emotional investment required by the symphonic repertoire. What a relief to play some jazz or Beatles songs with a glass of whisky, maybe playing along with streaming internet radio, (when the hotel lets me have a decent connection).

I will enjoy returning home to my house near Chicago, which may be cold but at least has clean air. It has been interesting, playing as an orchestral violist for Chicago. I have heard the top soloists, worked under famous conductors, been to four continents, but I have never forgotten the fulfilling challenge of playing in small band, doing original music or arrangements. The former is a good living, but the latter is a thrill hard to replace. My time in the big band is almost up, and after I leave this job (so that I can spend more time with the one I love) I hope to find opportunities for playing my own tunes and arrangements in public.

Submit "Letter From Shanghai" to Facebook Submit "Letter From Shanghai" to Yahoo Submit "Letter From Shanghai" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments