View RSS Feed

Larry's Mandolin Ramblings

MAS...a sickness for which there is no cure (Part II)

Rate this Entry
When we last joined out hero he had turned his back on an exquisite tenor banjo, and was looking for a trade that would bring a new National RM-1 mandolin into the fold. What happened?

MAS is nearly impossible to control...especially when a cool new instrument is involved. After finding the RM-1 I knew I was hooked. There's not many of these available, and it takes National about 6 months to deliver one once they are ordered.

Unlike older vintage models, these mandolins use the finest materials, have incredible build quality, and are built like tanks. The company takes their time and insists on high-quality standards.

I ended up doing a three-way trade trade with my tenor banjo and some cash for the National RM-1 mandolin and a 1915 Gibson A-0 (I'll blog about my A later). The deal worked out great for all involved, and I couldn't be happier.

The action is very low (National lowered it for me), the tone is great, the sustain/reverb is powerful, and the volume is out-of-this world!

I especially love the flame on the front, the radiused fretboard, the classy walnut back, and the cool retro art-deco styling.

Here are some pictures:

Full front:

Walnut back:

Cool tailpiece & bridge:

Side view:

Ever wonder what the channels under the resonator look like?

With a flash the fire really shows up:

This is a very versatile mandolin, with power to burn, and a vintage look that's hard to beat. Even the custom-fit case has that National vibe, with a big National badge logo printed on the side.

I've heard that National is changing the headstock logo due to issues with the art-deco decals ripping, and are moving to a metal badge logo. I think I prefer this log becasue it ties in with the overall art-deco look, but the badge does add a classic National vibe to the RM-1.

MAS is satisfied for now...gotta run and get back to playing!

Larry

Submit "MAS...a sickness for which there is no cure (Part II)" to Facebook Submit "MAS...a sickness for which there is no cure (Part II)" to Yahoo Submit "MAS...a sickness for which there is no cure (Part II)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized