View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

I don't mean to cause any trouble, but...

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Random thoughts on a Saturday. Now, I really don't mean to cause any trouble here, but...

--------

Curious why The Loar company didn't subscribe to a numbering system that identically matched the original Loars from the 20s. Seems that would have been in the spirit of some of their efforts to get under the skin of Gibson's owner. We think they missed a golden opportunity. #1 The Loar could have been #73987 (Monroe's box).

--------

Ever notice that forum members that start a thread with an apology almost always end up creating the exact response they claim they don't intend to make? "I don't mean to be critical, but...", "I don't mean to step on any toes, but..." and our favorite, "I'm not trying to cause trouble, but..." Why not just state your business and dispense with the apology? Anything you have to apologize for in advance usually means you should probably think it over a little better.

--------

No need to get overly critical of the upcoming Bill Monroe movie before an actor utters a single word on camera. This one is guaranteed to make a segment of the bluegrass community angry no matter how good (or bad) it turns out. However, hold on until the contracts are actually signed. The movie industry can and will turn on a dime. What we're hearing is that a lot of changes may be in store before tape rolls. As Jethro said, "no reason to get all lathered up if ya ain't gonna shave."

--------

We like old mandolin playing dudes, the legends. There's something to learn from these cats, for sure, including some great tidbits from our coming Jesse McReynolds interview. Here's (exaggerated a bit) an example of answers from some interviews we've done that crack us up. Draw you own conclusion:

Question: what kind of pick and strings do you use?

Typical star: "Elixir Nanoweb coated mediums, 80/20 bronze wound, .11, .16 (substituted for typical .15), .26 and .40, but for recording I'll substitute a .39 on the bass and swap the .15 back in for the .16. For a pick, on stage I'll use a Blue Chip CT55 with a right-hand bevel but then drill three small circular holes in the middle to remove some added weight. In the studio I'll switch to an STP50 with right-hand bevel, no holes drilled due to a more relaxed environment."

Old legend's answer: "Strings, mediums, or whatever's available. Pick, medium or whatever's available."

--------

Every forum has an annoying figure (or two) that talks way too much or more specifically, starts inane threads. Here's a novel idea: ignore them. In tennis, if the ball is never batted back there's never a game.

--------

Be nice.

Submit "I don't mean to cause any trouble, but..." to Facebook Submit "I don't mean to cause any trouble, but..." to Yahoo Submit "I don't mean to cause any trouble, but..." to Google

Comments

Brilliant!
    Why doesn't somebody put out a book: The Gospel According to Jethro?

Ryk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryk
    Brilliant!

Ryk
    Forum Guidelines 2.0
    I don't mean to be critical, but anyone who drills holes in their Blue Chip pick is doing it wrong. Every professional I know converts their picks to anti-matter in the Large Hadron Collider, except for recording, when they use carbon nanotubes and unobtainium.
    Given that none of you has won an Oscar, is anyone up for competing for the most inane thread award? Scott could award a "Jethro" to the winner :-)
    I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I hated this blog.

Just sayin.'
    I dont mean to sing praises, but...

I just wanted to thank you, Scott, for all you do to provide this community to us all. Maybe in response to part of your post, what I would say is that one of the things I really enjoy about the Cafe is that there is room for all types here. I am definitely one for the, "just pick it up and play the snot out of it" approach, but at the same time when those moments arise when I want to find out about the latest left-handed, metric, tungsten steel, nuclear powered fret polisher, I know there will be someone here in the community who can also tell me about that as well.

Thanks again!
    Ignore them? Where's that button?
    Wonderful!
    What 'The Loar' folks should have done was make their first serial number the number after the the last serialed Lloyd Loar Gibson. That way it would have hinted at a continuation. Can you imagine the outrage this would have caused as soon as it was figured out?
    Thanks for the fine blog entry Scott.
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoSquirrel
    Right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haley
    Given that none of you has won an Oscar, is anyone up for competing for the most inane thread award? Scott could award a "Jethro" to the winner :-)
    I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoSquirrel
    That's it! Build an Ignore button. It does nothing, but it gives you that satisfaction of replying to an inane comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasona
    Sorry, I ignored your post.

later: Cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist
    Wonderful!
    What 'The Loar' folks should have done was make their first serial number the number after the the last serialed Lloyd Loar Gibson. That way it would have hinted at a continuation..
    It's never too late to for them to start. It could be more confusing were they to start that sequence now. All their F5 mandos up until now would be known as 'pre post-Loar sequencing' ones. Could it even boost the collectibility of 'older' The Loar mandolins down the road?
    I remember an interview with Jethro; When asked what string he was using he said "The kind they send me for free!"
    These may be random but they are not useless thoughts : )
    It is a shame that people feel the need to apologize for their opinions because of how others will react. It is mostly insignificant stuff that people get over-excited about. No one is advocating building mandolins out of baby seal bones.

I think there is a contingent of members who will always be offended by opinions that contradict their own. The apology in advance is an attempt to placate them.

I would recommend a PM to members who over-react to posts that they disagree with, rather than a public scolding of those who want to state their opinion without being attacked. It makes more sense to remove the hornets' nest than to warn people not to stir it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago
    That's it! Build an Ignore button. It does nothing, but it gives you that satisfaction of replying to an inane comment.
    Could we keep track of the number of 'ignore post's that a post generates? Kind of like Facebook counts likes? It would be a new way to gauge relative offensiveness of comments...
    You can rate a thread. Ever used that instead? Allows users to show their approval or disapproval.
    Yahoo does the rating system on their news comments. I like the rating idea.
    [QUOTE=Ryk;bt878]Brilliant!

Ryk[/QUOTE]

Almost been done. In Mandolin World News there was a column called "Jethro Speaks" that regularly featured the wit and wisdom of Mr. Burns.