View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

10 Silliest Things I've Read on the Mandolin Cafe Message Board

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Long past due, and in the spirit of my 2008 summary, let me recall in no particular order of importance some the silliest things I've ever read on this message board--or at least, those I can remember.

OK, maybe a few I'll rank up high as being the most memorable. Sorry if anyone made these comments and you recognize yourself. Get your own blog and complain about me!

1. The Mandolin Cafe is responsible for an increase in the prices of all mandolins.

Response: regularly scheduled meetings are likely held in smoke-filled rooms behind closed doors with board moderators and admins deciding what vintages and brands to increase... or decrease! muh-ha-ha. "Dan, I'll trade you an increase in Loar-era F4s for a 25% spike in Gils. Ted, have you gotten than 10% Eastman increase through yet? Loars up 15% for this year guys, get busy we have work to do!"

2. $200K Loars will soon be sold for $65K in this economy.

Response: when pigs fly.

3. The mandolin market has gone to hell, and I can tell by watching the Classifieds.

Response: this site makes up for less than 1% of all mandolins for sale, but if someone wants to think they can accurately forecast from that amount of data, power to them.

4. The bottom of the Loar market is dropping out of site. They can't continue to be sold for these crazy amounts. You just wait.

Response: I am.

5. I don't like the rules here, I'm leaving and starting my own mandolin web site with message board and classifieds.

Response: oh, going from no work to instant insanity. Good decision.

6. If Bill Monroe had not invented bluegrass, no one would even know about mandolins.

Response: hundreds of years of mandolin history dating back into the 1700s from all those European countries, gone in a flash! All that immigrant music brought over on the boats, gone in a flash!

7. If it ain't bluegrass, it ain't #### (just testing out my naughty word array).

Response: this is correct. That other stuff, it's called... music.

8. No mandolin is worth $20,000!

Response: it is if it sells for that amount.

9. My -->insert import brand name here<-- sounds as good as any $20K mandolin. I've been playing for 5 months.

Response:

10. "I know it's true, I read it on the Mandolin Cafe"

Response: it's all true.

Submit "10 Silliest Things I've Read on the Mandolin Cafe Message Board" to Facebook Submit "10 Silliest Things I've Read on the Mandolin Cafe Message Board" to Yahoo Submit "10 Silliest Things I've Read on the Mandolin Cafe Message Board" to Google

Updated Dec-17-2008 at 7:05pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
General Mandolin Comments

Comments

This is a great list! I can only thing of one other myth, "Music stores are going to hell; I can't get anything I want locally because the greedy b@$t@^ds have abandoned mandolinists."

'Fraid a lack of local availability is actually rooted in a dual partnership within a free market economy. Stores simply can't afford to sell inventory they can't make a sustainable profit on. Customers started expecting internet pricing and selection with local convenience and services. Can't be done; can't have it both ways.