View RSS Feed

The Fifth Course

A little overdriven eight string emando work

Rate this Entry
Who says an overdriven 8 string sounds bad?

The attached file is a QDAF (Computer nerds may get the allusion) Quick & Dirty Audio File I did for a class in Audacity I'm teaching on Wednesday.

Tune: Ashokan Farewell
Key: D

I'm actually working on a version of Ashokan that changes keys. I'm going for a Steve Vai/Joe Satriani vibe. Ashokan is such a great melody that I think it can handle a lot of different interpretations. This recording killed 2 birds with one stone: a file for a class and an experimental/preparatory recording.

Instrument: Fender FM-988 circa 2002
Amplification: Marshall G15R CD (1x10) feeding an Ampeg J-12T (1x12) through its line out.
Settings: volumes a little low, Overdriving the preamp on the Marshall a bit, tone all the way down on both amps, reverb near 50% on both
Pedals: Boss SD-1 (overdrive) Tone all the way down, Drive at 60%, Level at 50%

Mic: standard MacBook running Windows XP (boot camp), the mic was about 12 feet from the amps and about 25 degrees off center
Recording software: Audacity
Settings: 16bit, 44kHz, mono

Going forward I think I'm looking for a smoother tone, but I'm on the right track. Any input would be gratefully received.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails Attached Files

Submit "A little overdriven eight string emando work" to Facebook Submit "A little overdriven eight string emando work" to Yahoo Submit "A little overdriven eight string emando work" to Google

Updated Feb-09-2010 at 12:28pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
Electric Explorations

Comments

Cool! It's a little hard to give much constructive input on tone given the way it was recorded, I'd put a mic on the cabs for starters, and probably turn it up a bunch so the amps can speak some. But lack of details has never stopped me before... What do you mean by "smoother" exactly? What about a power sink of some kind to put more of the grit in the output tubes? Thought about a fuzz pedal of some kind with the tone controls rolled back? I use an SD1 in my rig, and I usually turn the drive up pretty high, at least 3/4 up, but that might be a different sound than you're after.
    Thanks! Yes, I was thinking less dirt, more fuzz. Though the recording has less dirt in it that the live air did. The mic probably took some upper end off the sound, and the 16 bit sample rate probably did too.

Daniel