View RSS Feed

The Fifth Course

Fun Group Project

Rate this Entry
Over on the guitar discussion board I moderate, http://santacruzguitarplayers.com, I started a group project. I supplied the basic tracks of a song (percussion, guitar, voice) I had written and demo'd with GarageBand on my Mac. I asked the folks on the board if they might contribute some lead instrument ideas.

I was having difficulty getting a lead instrument track down on a demo for a song I had written, called "Big Valley." The idea arose from realizing I could ask my friends for help with ideas about how to approach this portion of the song. I offered the song for download and let everyone know I would post their contributions to the same site.

Part of the draw is indeed the public nature of the contributions. They add interest and build community. I don't think the project would be successful if I hoarded the results.

Those results are coming in now and the contributions are wonderful. Full of ideas I had not considered and great playing. Slide guitar, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, Jazz improvs, fingerpicking, washboards and found percussion, etc. I'm even anticipating a harmony or a backing vocal from a forum member in Germany!

Come visit the Santa Cruz Guitar Players Forum and check out the group project thread. Heck, subscribe and contribute your own licks to the tune!

Daniel

Submit "Fun Group Project" to Facebook Submit "Fun Group Project" to Yahoo Submit "Fun Group Project" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments