View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #350 w/ Special Guest Matt Norman

Rate this Entry
This week on Mandolin Mondays we've got UK classical mandolinist Matt Norman with us to share a compelling performance of the classic Raffaele Calace piece "Piccola Gavota."

Matt is a multi-instrumentalist and singer best know for his mandolin playing. He regularly performs in the folk scene with his band Gadarene, at Ceilidhs and social dances as well as Matt's own classical mandolin performances. This past May, Matt released a brand new album called Mr Onion’s Serenade--a record that celebrates the second golden age of the mandolin when every major town would have had a mandolin orchestra and mandolin virtuosos were celebrities. The little known repertoire from this time is full of character and sparkle so definitely check out this fun new project of Matt's here: www.mandolinmattnorman.bandcamp.com

Be sure to connect with Matt at the following links below for more information about his music:

www.mattnorman.org
www.mandolinmattnorman.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/mandolinmattnorman/
https://www.facebook.com/Mandolinmattnorman/

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #350 w/ Special Guest Matt Norman" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #350 w/ Special Guest Matt Norman" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #350 w/ Special Guest Matt Norman" to Google

Comments

Beautiful playing! A wonderfully happy Calace piece! Thank you, Matt, for sharing!
    Bravo! Nice to hear a beautiful Calace piece, and performed so well!. The bass banjo in the background did scare me a little.
    Thanks! A great way to start the day.
    It is so nice to hear this piece played with style, humor and fun. Matt knows this piece well and has no struggle playing it. Very nice!
    Beautiful playing! But what is that Fender-headed banjstrosity in the background?
    What a treat! Mandoline music from across Europe and the USA played with zip and gusto (as they might have said 100 or so years ago from whence these tunes originate). The multi-tracked mando band backing comes across really well. Immense credit to Mr Norman. If only there was a CD to buy.
    Loving the subtle dynamics in this. A wonderful piece, beautifully played, Matt. Thank you, sir.
    Thanks for your comment and the plug for my album Mr Onion's Serenade. However there is no multi-tracking on this recording, just me playing several strings at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt
    What a treat! Mandoline music from across Europe and the USA played with zip and gusto (as they might have said 100 or so years ago from whence these tunes originate). The multi-tracked mando band backing comes across really well. Immense credit to Mr Norman. If only there was a CD to buy.
    Thanks. I made the bass banjo myself from half a bass drum, a bass guitar next and a few bits I bought from the local agricultural merchants. It works surprisingly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnjl
    Beautiful playing! But what is that Fender-headed banjstrosity in the background?