View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #337 w/ Special Guest Justin Harrison

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
This week on Mandolin Monday Justin Harrison of the band Nu-Blu joins us to play a rendition of Jesse McReynolds "Okeechobee Wind" played on this 1957 Gibson F5 mandolin that was previously owned by Jesse.

Justin Harrison is primarily a mandolin picker from, and still residing in, Williamston, North Carolina. He began playing at the age of 8. Around the age of 16 he started to play in various local bands with his father. In the fall on 2012, he began attending Morehead State University's Traditional Music program where he graduated with honors receiving a Bachelors Degree in Traditional Music Studies. While attending MSU, he performed with the programs Mountain Music Ambassadors school band, directed by Raymond McLain. One of the biggest highlights of his time at MSU was touring China with the Mountain Music Ambassadors. In 2015, while still in school, he began touring with The Karl Shiflett and Big Country Show playing throughout the United States. He is also good friends with Jesse McReynolds and had the fortunate opportunity to play on stage and conduct workshops with him on multiple occasions. In the fall of 2017, he became a member of the band Nu-Blu and is still performing with them full-time today. So far in his time with Nu-Blu, he has toured extensively throughout the U.S and has also performed in Canada and Ireland.

Here's a word from Justin about the mandolin in this video, " I am using the 1957 Gibson F5 formerly owned and played extensively by Jesse McReynolds. It was used on the Mandolin Workshop album and the early Jim and Jesse recordings made by Columbia and Epic Records."

Be sure to check out Justin Harrison and Nu-Blu and be on the lookout for our upcoming album's release at their website below:

http://www.nu-blu.com/

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #337 w/ Special Guest Justin Harrison" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #337 w/ Special Guest Justin Harrison" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #337 w/ Special Guest Justin Harrison" to Google

Comments

That’s a beautiful tune, new to me, beautifully played. Justin’s tone is so full and resonant. Really impressive!
    Wow! Really nice tune, and nicely played! Love that cross picking. Good choice to play on a Jesse alumni.
    Terrific playing a nice song. And what a mandolin!
    Interesting tune in the spirit of Jesse McReynolds with a personal twist.

Is the mandolin this one: https://www.discogs.com/release/3407...U6NTYwMTY0Mzk=

I wanted to post the picture (that I even downloaded the picture), but there´s neither "paper clip" nor a choice wether to post a picture from a ULR or from your computer... Frustrating.

If it indeed is, it has been modified to look more loarish. Is it also this?