View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe

Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades

Rate this Entry
Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades

Spending a lot more time at home of late? Cooking better fare as part of the new reality to fill in idle time? Yea, same here. I'm afraid there will be plenty more. Here's a diversion I really enjoyed. Maybe you can too in the near future.

Grammy nominated mandolinist and vocalist Frank Solivan of Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen is well known for his outstanding cooking skills and has been known to hold a house concert and then provide a feast for the entire audience to round out the evening. A post Frank made on Instagram caught my eye.

Two hot sauces and a dry marinade of his own making would be available to the general public at some point. "Not yet," he told me when I inquired, but I could be a beta tester if I'd provide some feedback. Or was that beta taster?

Could I stand the heat? Now sampled and heartily approved, this deserves further attention. The heat had flavor, and lots of it, and elevated what I was cooking. Condiments that taste good and help improve the dining experience. Sold.

If we're looking for ways of supporting music and musicians, this is one way I plan to in the future, soon as they're available. Well done, Frank.

The Dry Marinade

My top pick of litter. With a locally raised Boston Butt roast as test case I was sold. Good for one meal, but the leftover pork made it into tacos the following day with both sauces used to finish them off. Even found myself sprinkling it on rice and beans. Aromas of cumin, garlic, salty and sweet, savory, and not too over the top. Just right. It's a keeper.

The Sauces

Habanero and Peach - are there two words the match up better? I think not. A difficult choice, but probably my pick of the two sauces. Lots going on here, and the Habanero shouldn't scare you off. Hot, yes, but tolerable and packed with flavor that pleases.

Jalapeņo and Garlic - The hotter of the two sauces in my opinion but loaded with flavor, and ah... that garlic kick at the end. You can get real happy with this one, and thank goodness, not loaded with a bunch of vinegar and other crap they put in some retail options.

Like to try these yourself? Watch this space for Frank's line. Be careful out there, and if you don't often indulge in hot sauces, very small samples advised. You've been warned.

From the Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen album below, the track "Crack of Noon."

Name:  frank.jpg
Views: 3917
Size:  169.7 KB

Submit "Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades" to Facebook Submit "Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades" to Yahoo Submit "Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Hot Sauces and Dry Marinades" to Google

Updated Apr-14-2020 at 9:34am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Heaven help me if this was posted eight days ago! Where can I order it?
    Frank just set up this web site for it today but it's not yet in stock. He said his goal was to roll all this out at DelFest but of course that has been cancelled like everything else for the summer.
    That is fantastic..thx>