View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #204 w/ Special Guest Jesper Rübner-Petersen

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
This week on Mandolin Mondays, Mel Bay Mandolin Author and European Mandolin guru Jesper Rübner-Petersen gives us a unique take on some fiddle tune classics played with his Bruce Weber signed 1996 F5L Gibson mandolin.

Jesper Rübner-Petersen was born in Aarhus, Denmark, where he grew up with bluegrass and acoustic music from his banjo-playing father. At the age of 12 Jesper began playing the guitar and very soon was playing in old time and bluegrass bands that performed all over Europe. Later on, Jesper enrolled in the jazz program at the "American Institute of Music" in Vienna (Austria), which he completed in March 1993. After years of intensive guitar playing, Jesper bought himself a mandolin so that he could try out a second instrument--a purchase that changed his life. In July 2000 Jesper moved to Southern Germany, where he also started a professional career as a guitar and mandolin teacher. At the same time, he started teaching at Beppe Gambetta's Summer Workshop, the International Workshop Musique Acoustique in Belgium, the mandolin workshop at the New Acoustic Gallery, Barcelona Bluegrass Camp and other workshops in Germany, Denmark and the UK.

Also, Jesper’s book on Bluegrass improvisation (released by Mel Bay in spring 2010) has been a great success, with more then 6,000 copies sold. Check it out here: https://www.melbay.com/Products/2208...ovisation.aspx

Here's a word from Jesper about the unique style he pioneered that's displayed in this video, "Around 15 years ago, I started to work on the idea to arrange some tunes, in a style which I would refer to as the Chop Melody Style, with the idea to give the listener (while closing their eyes), the imagination of two mandolins playing .The Chop Melody Style is more for fun, then a really usable tool to use in jams, a band or on recordings, but I thought it would be the right thing for a Mandolin Mondays solo mandolin performance. I hope you like my Chop Melody Medley!" ("The Girl I Left Behind Me," "Beaumont Rag," "Gold Rush")

Be sure to connect with Jesper at the following links below for more information about his music:

http://jrpmandolin.com/
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Cbner-Petersen
https://www.melbay.com/Products/2208...ovisation.aspx

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #204 w/ Special Guest Jesper Rübner-Petersen" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #204 w/ Special Guest Jesper Rübner-Petersen" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #204 w/ Special Guest Jesper Rübner-Petersen" to Google

Comments

Welcome, Jesper. Great arrangements!
    Thank you so much, Jesper! I immediately recognized the "Chop Melody Style" as something unique and it's something I've been doing on ukulele for years without ever really giving it a name. And yet I've never really thought to try it on mandolin although Sierra Hull employs a similar technique on her version of "People Get Ready."

Your improvisation book looks great and I will definitely be ordering a copy.
    Awesome, TY!
    "Chop Melody". Very cool.
    Godt klaret, Jesper!

We'll have to incorporate that into our next playing session. How about we try to make that before next year's mando workshop? :D

Really great job, man. Very impressed.
    Wow! That was almost confusing, seeing one mando and hearing two..... very impressive!
    Killer rhythm and lead-different but very KOOL man! Love it!
    Well, I know the next technique I'll be attempting to figure out

Great stuff!
    Big Fun!
    Wow, that's great, Jesper!! Hope to see you at the next Barcelona BG Camp!!
    Ha! That's hard to do!