View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #187 w/ Special Guest Mike Mullins

Rate this Entry
West coast mandolin resident Mike Mullins joins us for Mandolin Mondays with a beautiful rendition of "The Water is Wide" played on his renecked 1937 Gibson F7.

Mike has been the guitarist for the California-based band the Cache Valley Drifters for a while now, but he says that mandolin is his first love. He's collaborated with some of the best cats on the West Coast--even found himself as an Artist-in-residence at David Grisman and Mike Marshall's illustrious Mandolin Symposium. His current solo release Windows of Time features the talents of Gabe Witcher, Joe Craven, Jim Kerwin, and many other excellent players. Check it out here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mikemullins

Additionally, Mike has been working on a new project called 8-String Sketches--an album of solo mandolin arrangements of tunes from around the globe and across time. The piece in this video will be featured on the record and it will be due for release in January 2020.

Here's a word from Mike about the tune and mandolin in this video, "This is my meandering rendition of an old Scottish favorite, "The Water is Wide." "Outlander" fans may recognize the intro interlude. My mandolin is 1937 Gibson F7 that was renecked to F5 specs many years before I owned it, probably by Randy Wood. I acquired it in 1991 from David Grisman, who owned it at that time. It’s been my main axe since and I’m still pretty bonded with it. It’s got a face only a mother could love, but I love the sound."

Be sure to connect with Mike at the following links below for more information about his music:

www.mikemullinsmusic.com
https://www.facebook.com/mike.mullins.31
https://www.facebook.com/theCacheValleyDrifters/

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #187 w/ Special Guest Mike Mullins" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #187 w/ Special Guest Mike Mullins" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #187 w/ Special Guest Mike Mullins" to Google

Comments

Marvellous
    Wow, nicely played. Thank you and welcome, Mike.
    Very NICE F-7 conversion-I've had many and still have one! They are spectacular mandolins! Was yours an internal re-graduated as well? I'd say that is a very successful conversion-well played and great tone! Love it man!
    Thanks Mike. That was beautiful, what a way to start the day.
    Great!
    Gorgeous!!!!
    Beautiful !
    Really really beautiful!
    Wow, nice.
    Fantastic - thanks!
    Wicked awesome, Mike! Thanks.
    Man I could listen to that forever. Thanks Mike! Hey
    Lovely! Tasteful arrangement and dynamics.
    Beautiful arrangement and sound. Bravo
    Even more beautiful the second time through. I'll be looking forward to the release in January!
    One of the most tasteful musicians to ever pick up a mandolin. A great guy too.
    This is a very beautiful melody and perfect tone. That's great!
    loving this