View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #179 w/ Special Guest Alon Sariel

Rate this Entry
Award-winning Israeli musical director and classical mandolin performer Alon Sariel stops by Mandolin Mondays to play us a riveting excerpt of music on his uniquely designed mandolin built by Israeli luthier Arik Kerman.

Alon got his start on the mandolin playing in the Beersheba Mandolin Orchestra in South Israel where he grew up. Later he went on to study mandolin, lute, and conducting at the prestigious Jerusalem Academy of Music and the Royal Conservatory of Brussels.

He currently lives in Hanover, Germany, where he is the musical director of the international Baroque orchestra Concerto Foscari. Alon's latest mandolin recording is a magnificent album of Georg Philipp Telemann compositions arranged for mandolin. It's entitled Telemandolin--be sure to check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/Telemandolin-.../dp/B01NBMHS00

Here's a word from Alon about the music in this video, "This piece Asturias (also known as Leyenda) by Isaac Albeniz was written for the piano and later arranged for the guitar. I thought it would be cool to make a setting for solo mandolin and here's a first try, I'd say it's still a work in progress... Enjoy!"

Be sure to connect with Alon at the following links below for more information about his music:

www.alon-sariel.com
www.facebook.com/alonMsariel
www.youtube.com/AlonSariel

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #179 w/ Special Guest Alon Sariel" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #179 w/ Special Guest Alon Sariel" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #179 w/ Special Guest Alon Sariel" to Google

Comments

"A work in progress?" I suppose, but this is good enough for me.

"Alon's latest mandolin recording is a magnificent album of Georg Philipp Telemann compositions arranged for mandolin." Yes, magnificent!
    Wow, very nice, Alon. Welcome to Mandolin Mondays!
    Maxeem! Thanks, Alon.
    Very well done, Alon. Interesting Musical choice. I’ve heard it on Guitar & it sounds equally wonderful on Mandolin. In his hands, of course. I’ve had the opportunity to attend a couple of Alon’s workshops. He is charming & instructive. I hope to cross paths with him again.
    Joe B
    Killer why does this remind me of Spanish Caravan by Robby K+ the DOORS! I know not the same melody but hey it does!
    That was fabulous, mezmerizing. Thanks Alon.
    Man I love watching Mandolin Monday videos. I just started playing in December, and I can’t believe the accessibility MM and the community in general provides to so many of these great players. Can’t wait to hear more from Alon!
    Really great to listen to and watch! I will happily listen to more. Call me crazy, but those slides on the G-string between 00:15 and 00:30 made me thing of tablas (drums).
    That's really great. And thanks for turning me on to his Telemann album. I really like this man's music.
    Really good work... Bravo
    Tremendous!