View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #175 w/ Special Guest Yura Lytkin

Rate this Entry
Meet Yura Lytkin a singer songwriter/scientist from Novosibirsk, Russia who happens to be an expert on Renaissance and Baroque adaptations for the mandolin. This week on Mandolin Mondays hear him play an original arrangement of this lute composition by John Dowland performed on Yura's beautiful Jade mandolin.

It's evident by Yura's beautifully curated youtube channel that his talents and interests are broad. He effortlessly jumps from Jimmy Eat World covers to Telemann Fantasias and back. If you're unfamiliar with his work, be sure to check out his impeccable music videos at the links below. Definitely someone to keep an eye on in the upcoming years!

Here's a word from Yura about the music in this video, "This is a Renaissance tune called 'A Fancy (P6)' composed by John Dowland for lute. I don't really have an idea what 'P6' means, but there seem to be tons of Dowland's tunes called 'A Fancy', so it's probably some sort of identification for this particular tune. I arranged this myself, had to transpose it from the original E minor into D minor in order to be able to use more open strings. The lute obviously has a lot more sustain than the mandolin, so I had to be creative with cross-picking and all that in order to maximize the ringing here and there (there's not that much of it still, but I did what I could). It is a great tune for practicing precision and stretches, so it was a total fun to learn!"

If you'd like to download a free copy of the transcription for this music, you can download it below.

Be sure to connect with Yura at the following link below for more information about his music:

https://youtube.com/yuralytkin
https://www.instagram.com/yura.lytkin/

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_Fancy_(P6)_mandolin.pdf 
Views:	445 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	176485

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #175 w/ Special Guest Yura Lytkin" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #175 w/ Special Guest Yura Lytkin" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #175 w/ Special Guest Yura Lytkin" to Google

Comments

Welcome, Yura. Beautiful playing. Interested if anyone can identify this particular mandolin build he's playing.
    WOW!!
    I am loving his wonderful technique, and the power he is producing in the tone.
    Thank you so much Yura for being part of Mandolin Mondays!
    There should be more Dowland played on mandolin. It is beautiful music and Yura has done a great job of capturing the particular phrasing of that style.

But sit up Yura, you're gonna get a back ache!
    Beautiful!
    His Mandolin is a Jade made by Bob McRee. Bob is a MC member.
    Sounds great! Great playing and great tone.

Thanks!
    very sweet, and nice sounding mandolin. thank you
    Elegant and sweet!
    Yura
    Wonderfully played and executed.
    Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC
    There should be more Dowland played on mandolin. It is beautiful music and Yura has done a great job of capturing the particular phrasing of that style.

But sit up Yura, you're gonna get a back ache!
    I agree - a beautiful arrangement and performance!
    Great recording as well.

As to John Dowland music for mandolin, there's a wonderful recording arranged and performed by Joseph Brent and Alon Sariel called An Englishman in New York.
    A beautiful song and you make a wonderful sound. Thanks, Yura, DB and MC
    Wonderful music - the P in the title derives from Diana Poulton, who edited the works of John Dowland
    So great! the sound of the mandolin is very pure! Thank you very much!