View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #171 w/ Special Guest David Harvey

Rate this Entry
This week on Mandolin Mondays Gibson master luthier David Harvey brings us an original cross-tuned piece performed on this incredible Gibson Hall Of Fame Mon F-5 prototype he helped to pioneer.

David cut his teeth as a 14 year-old kid touring with the legendary Red Allen. Over the years, he made a name for himself as a performer, playing with Larry Sparks, Claire Lynch and a number of others. Now, David continues to play with his own group the David Harvey Music Crew, in addition to his work as Gibson's master luthier--overseeing and approving the production of their mandolins, banjos, and dobros. Read more about the special mandolin in this video here: https://bluegrasstoday.com/gibson-bi...fame-mandolin/

David gives all the details on this video here, "Hello fellow mandolin fanatics and fans of David Benedict’s great series, Mandolin Mondays! I’m playing my updated version of a tune called “Cruisin’ Timber” that my dad, Dorsey “Little David” Harvey and I collaborated on. I’m playing the Gibson Hall Of Fame Mon F-5 prototype. A fantastic mandolin built by my team and I. This is the first in a series of mandolins that we are launching as a tribute to the Father Of Bluegrass Bill Monroe. These Monroe mandolins come complete with his signature label, custom case, rawhide strap and rattlesnake rattle!

My dad wrote this beautiful melody as a tribute to my grandfather, Bill H. Fox. Bill was an old time fiddle player and worked on a logging crew as a Timber Cruiser. His job was to calculate the board feet of wood in a stand of trees. I added the split tuning of the E strings, 1st E stays at E the second E drops to A. Dad loved it and was so excited when Larry Sparks decided to include "Cruisin’ Timber" on the now classic Silver Reflections album. I recorded It again on Wild & Blue’s first release Too Blue Too Cry. Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers also cut it on They Are Playing My Song and can be seen performing it live on YouTube with the Centerville Alternative Strings Orchestra. I am again performing this tune live with my new group the David Harvey Music Crew! Please enjoy!"

Be sure to connect with David at the following link below for more information about his music:

http://www.davidharveymusic.com/biography.htm
https://www.facebook.com/people/Davi...00000853528892

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #171 w/ Special Guest David Harvey" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #171 w/ Special Guest David Harvey" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #171 w/ Special Guest David Harvey" to Google

Comments

Welcome, David. We've played that mandolin. It's *fine*! Great tune.
    Boo-tee-full...troolie!
    Very special! Thanks.
    Mighty lonesome.
    Sounds AWESOME!

I met David after a Larry Cordell show at The Station Inn about 4 years ago.
    A real gentleman and very gifted player.

Thanks!
    I had a chance to play this mandolin Friday night and it is a beast. David is so talented both performing and building fantastic Gibson mandolins.
    Great song David! Love the tone of the mandolin.
    Thank you all for listening! I'm so glad you enjoyed the video, the tune
    'Cruisin' Timber" and the Hall Of Fame Mon mandolin! Thanks again to David Benedict and the Mandolin Café for having me on The Mandolin Mondays series #171!