View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #159 - D'Addario String Comparison

Rate this Entry
Mandolin Mondays #159: This week on Mandolin Mondays we have a very special video sponsored by D'Addario Strings. Listen to an in depth comparison of 3 different D'Addario mandolin string styles played back to back to back on my Apitius Vanguard F5 mandolin.

For this video, I used medium gauge sets (.011, .015, .026, .040) of Phosphor Bronze, Nickel Bronze, and Monel strings. Check out the links below for more details.

Phosphor Bronze: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe..._Medium__11_40

Nickel Bronze: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe..._Medium__11_40

Monel: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFa...me=Monel_Wound

This was a fun, enlightening experience, and I'm excited to continue experimenting with these strings in the future. I hope that you'll try these out on your instruments too. Would love to hear your thoughts on these different strings. Feel free to comment below with any questions or discussion.

Also, all of the musical excerpts in this video are original tunes of mine from my recent record The Golden Angle. I'd be honored if you'd check it out here: https://www.davidbenedictmusic.com/p...e-golden-angle

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #159 - D'Addario String Comparison" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #159 - D'Addario String Comparison" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #159 - D'Addario String Comparison" to Google

Updated Jan-14-2019 at 10:22am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks David! I like different aspects of each, and I was very happy with the sound and longevity from the Monel set I've had on my mandolin.

But the real question: Which set do you use? (Or do you, in fact, change for different settings?)
    David, very nicely done.. useful info. That was a *lot* of work to make all of that happen. Appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip
    Thanks David! I like different aspects of each, and I was very happy with the sound and longevity from the Monel set I've had on my mandolin.

But the real question: Which set do you use? (Or do you, in fact, change for different settings?)
    Hey Drew! Thanks for checking out the video! Definitely was a fun experiment and I enjoyed different aspects of all the strings. I typically use the D’Addario EXPCM74 set but I also frequent the Nickel Bronze set same gauge. After doing this I’m excited to spend more time with the Monels. Really cool sound. What do you normally use?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmandolin
    Hey Drew! Thanks for checking out the video! Definitely was a fun experiment and I enjoyed different aspects of all the strings. I typically use the D’Addario EXPCM74 set but I also frequent the Nickel Bronze set same gauge. After doing this I’m excited to spend more time with the Monels. Really cool sound. What do you normally use?
    I spend about every other string change on EJ74, and use the alternating times to test out new things against my "baseline."

One interesting observation I made was, after thrashing an EJ75 set for a few months, my mandolin seemed more open and complex when I went back to a medium-gauge set. That's been at least a year, though, so I don't know if I'm still hearing the same thing.

I think my new go-to set might be the Monels, but I'm a tinkerer, and also not a touring musician whose livelihood depends on playing great mandolin with a consistent timbre! Keep up the fantastic work!
    Thanks for the video comparison!

Totally off the subject, but that stache rules.
    Thanks for this. Also, "Rialto" was a great tune last night at Jalopy. Thanks for playing some of your instrumental compositions. Those are so rich and lots of fun.
    Thanks David Im gonna try the Monel. been using phosphor Bronze 11.5 16 .026 .040 seems to work for me we should pick sometime.
    Thanks, Dave! I've been an EXP74 user since they arrived on the scene. That said, in the past couple of years I've tried Straight Ups(?) and did a beta test for D'Addario on the Monels. I have a tough time discerning between them. I had an even tougher time with the three sets you were gracious enough to A-B-C for us! (you get lots of extra points for all the string changing!) I'd agree A and D seemed to have just a touch more bite. As a bluegrass-er, that's important. As usual with D'Addarios, the consistency is a strong feature! I have stuck with the EXPs for this long primarily because they seem to stay alive longer! Thanks again for your work!
    Rush Burkhardt
    neat comparison. I definitely heard differences between the 3. And what I found pretty amazing was, DB seemed to keep the same amount of pick pressure and force on all the tests.
    My fav was the standard phos bronze, but I liked what I heard in the monels and will definitely check them out. I've been using the nickel bronze on some guitars and will give those a try one day also.
    Really enjoyed this.
    d
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip
    I spend about every other string change on EJ74, and use the alternating times to test out new things against my "baseline."

One interesting observation I made was, after thrashing an EJ75 set for a few months, my mandolin seemed more open and complex when I went back to a medium-gauge set. That's been at least a year, though, so I don't know if I'm still hearing the same thing.

I think my new go-to set might be the Monels, but I'm a tinkerer, and also not a touring musician whose livelihood depends on playing great mandolin with a consistent timbre! Keep up the fantastic work!
    That's awesome Drew! Let me know what you think of the Monels. Had them on my mandolin for a few weeks and was really digging them. Channeling my inner Sam Bush!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccravens
    Thanks for the video comparison!

Totally off the subject, but that stache rules.
    Thanks man! Trying to carry on the mandolin mustache legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMutt
    Thanks for this. Also, "Rialto" was a great tune last night at Jalopy. Thanks for playing some of your instrumental compositions. Those are so rich and lots of fun.
    Ah, so glad you liked the new tune! It will be on the new Mile Twelve record coming out early spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbenedict
    Thanks David Im gonna try the Monel. been using phosphor Bronze 11.5 16 .026 .040 seems to work for me we should pick sometime.
    Yeah! I think the phosphor bronze and monel strings are related. They've both got a lot of power with some subtle differences. Excited to hear what you think of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush Burkhardt
    Thanks, Dave! I've been an EXP74 user since they arrived on the scene. That said, in the past couple of years I've tried Straight Ups(?) and did a beta test for D'Addario on the Monels. I have a tough time discerning between them. I had an even tougher time with the three sets you were gracious enough to A-B-C for us! (you get lots of extra points for all the string changing!) I'd agree A and D seemed to have just a touch more bite. As a bluegrass-er, that's important. As usual with D'Addarios, the consistency is a strong feature! I have stuck with the EXPs for this long primarily because they seem to stay alive longer! Thanks again for your work!
    Rush Burkhardt

Hey Rush! Yeah, I generally use the D'Addario EXPCM74 set. I really like the longevity of the EXP coated strings too. You might enjoy the Nickel Bronze too. I think they have a similar long live and they break in a lot quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp
    neat comparison. I definitely heard differences between the 3. And what I found pretty amazing was, DB seemed to keep the same amount of pick pressure and force on all the tests.
    My fav was the standard phos bronze, but I liked what I heard in the monels and will definitely check them out. I've been using the nickel bronze on some guitars and will give those a try one day also.
    Really enjoyed this.
    d
    Ah, thanks for the kind words! Yeah, definitely check out the monels and nickel bronze sets. I think they're all really comparable, but they all have subtle nuances as you heard. Would love to hear what you like best on your instrument. Every axe responds differently to every set of strings.