View RSS Feed

Carl23

A mathamaticians guide to mandolin playing

Rate this Entry
There are a few things that I can't help bringing to how I am learning mandolin.

Math: As a percussionist I have gone through uncounted variations of simple concepts. All possible handings for any given rhythm. switching parts between all limbs (feet as well as hands). Etc.
This pleases the mathematical side of my brain. :-)

Music theory: I have studied music theory and analysis for over 25 years. Scales, chords and progressions are my bread and butter. (But then again, so are 12 tone rows and set theory) [insert geek smiley here]

Based on the above, there are two components of mandolin playing that have my attention.

Tuning in 5ths: there are some music theory structures that are implied by this. Pentachords, tetrachords, fingering structures and more!

1 finger 2 frets 4 "strings": cue mathematician…. 4 fingers x 2 frets x 4 strings = 32 combinations!!! ��
But we’ll get to that later.

Not sure where the following blog posts will lead, but if you are interested keep reading.

Also, feel free to ask questions in the comments, I’ll do what I can.

Finally, most of this will come from a theoretical approach. Not based on any particular style of music or teaching method. Take whatever you like or is helpful to you, leave the rest.

Final final point: I’m not the best writer, so any editorial advice is welcome! ��

Things I hope you find helpful:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Fret1Finger.pdf 
Views:	146 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	173944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smaller fingerboard.pdf 
Views:	117 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	173942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fingerboard Master.pdf 
Views:	101 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	173943

Submit "A mathamaticians guide to mandolin playing" to Facebook Submit "A mathamaticians guide to mandolin playing" to Yahoo Submit "A mathamaticians guide to mandolin playing" to Google

Updated Jan-12-2019 at 8:24am by Carl23

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is what makes music interesting. Everyone brings something different, even to music that is already written for us. Good luck on the journey.