View RSS Feed

Montana Lutherie

I Love My Mandolin But...

Rate this Entry
No reason to not to love it completely...
Many players who have sent their instrument in for tweaking, a refret, (or more) say they are so happy their irritant is taken care of. Contact Bruce and talk it over.

My 1990 Gibson A5-L has been with me since new, and for those 27 years I liked it (once it opened up, anyway), but never loved it. Until Bruce got ahold of it, that is.

The problem was the uncomfortably sharp V-profile of the neck. Other luthiers told me they wouldn’t touch it for fear of damaging the integrity of the neck, but then some good luck steered me to Bruce, who slimmed it down to a perfect C-shape. The work is flawless and beautiful. All the original lines at the peghead and the heel are preserved, which required a sculptor’s touch. I opted to leave the neck unfinished, and it’s a joy to play and behold now. So much better than the thick lacquer Gibson was using then. Thank you, Bruce, for the top-quality work and for spending so much time with me on the phone to make sure I conveyed my hopes for the mando. It now sounds and plays like the great oldish Gibson it is.

It has been transformed perfectly. And, best of all, I’ve made a friend.
B.B
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5l.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	159834

Submit "I Love My Mandolin But..." to Facebook Submit "I Love My Mandolin But..." to Yahoo Submit "I Love My Mandolin But..." to Google