View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #66 w/ Special Guest Alan Epstein

Rate this Entry
This week we have Alan Epstein playing a graceful rendition of this bittersweet traditional Jewish melody on his Collings MT 1 mando.

Alan has been deeply involved in the mandolin community for over 40 years now. His contributions have ranged from teaching at numerous mandolin workshops across the North East, to writing for the former publication Mandolin Magazine, and even to founding the the modern-day Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra. Most recently, Alan has recorded an album of mandolin and guitar duets entitled Sunset on Meriden Hill. Be sure to check it out HERE. Alan also teaches online through Don Julin's instructional website, Mandolins Heal the World.

Here's Alan with a few words about the video, "The tune I'm playing is Shalom Aleichem a beautiful, traditional Jewish melody that I included on my recent CD project. I learned the tune from one of the David Grisman and Andy Statman CD's that was released many years ago on Acoustic Disc. If you like the sound of this melody, I would suggest you dig into those two Grisman/Statman recordings as well as The Book of the Dawg - Dawg Roots which includes a transcription of this melody."

Contact Alan through his website for more info about his music, lessons, and performances: https://www.alanepsteinmusic.com/

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #66 w/ Special Guest Alan Epstein" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #66 w/ Special Guest Alan Epstein" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #66 w/ Special Guest Alan Epstein" to Google

Updated Apr-03-2017 at 10:29am by dbmandolin

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome, Alan! Nicely played.
    Shalom Aleichem says one, Aleichem Shalom says the other. A traditional greeting.

So Alan "Aleichem Shalom!" A beautiful and soulful tune. (I wish the mic was up close in order to really hear that great mandolin.) Really nice though. And what a great way to start the week.

Thanks!