• Listen: Butch Baldassari's 2002 Blue Moon Over Kentucky Concert with the Owensboro Symphony Orchestra

Audio from Butch Baldassari's Blue Moon Over Kentucky orchestral work honoring the music of Bill Monroe surfaces more than 20 years since last performed, published here with the permission of Butch's widow, Lelia Sinclair Baldassari.

Butch Baldassari's 2002 Blue Moon of Kentucky Concert with the Owensboro Symphony Orchestra

October 26, 2002, Butch Baldassari appeared in concert with the Owensboro Symphony Orchestra for the world premiere of his Blue Moon Over Kentucky, a creation born in Baldassari's creative mind and put to music for mandolin and orchestra by the combination of Nashville area musicians Don Heart, Andrea Zonn and John Mock.

In attendance at the concert was New York based mandolinist Alan Epstein. Alan contacted us about the 20th anniversary of the concert last month and the subsequent review he authored that appeared in the now defunct Mandolin Quarterly. From there, it wasn't long before we discovered the concert had been recorded.

The amazing music created that evening deserves our attention and a new, larger audience. It's with great pleasure we get to hear once again the marvelous music Butch made in a concert that relatively few were lucky enough to hear in person. Enjoy the sounds, now preserved in digital form for the ages.

The Ancient Tones

• Jenny Lynn
    • My Father's Footsteps
    • Goin' Up Caney
    • The Dead March
    • Watermelon Hangin' On A Vine

Arnold Shultz' Blues

• Watson Blues
    • Bluegrass Special
    • Honky Tonk Swing
    • Bluegrass Stomp
    • Bluegrass Part I
    • Honky Tonk Swing-Reprise

From Scotland to Rosin

• Scotland
    • Jerusalem Ridge
    • Cheyenne

My Last Days On Earth

• My Last Days On Earth

Monroe's Hornpipes

• Roanoke
    • Big Mon
    • Monroe's Hornpipe
    • Rawhide

Additional Information

Comments 9 Comments
      Eldon Dennis -
      Thanks so much for sharing this! Just wonderful! Is this available for purchase on CD or download.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      There is nothing in the works in regard to that at the moment.
      lenf12 -
      Beautifully orchestrated and re-arranged. I sure do miss Butch. Such a bright light...extinguished way too soon.

Len B.
      Clearwater, FL
      Peter Mix -
      Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
      Beautifully orchestrated and re-arranged. I sure do miss Butch. Such a bright light...extinguished way too soon.

Len B.
      Clearwater, FL
      I was very fortunate to be there that night with my wife and Michael Schroeder. It was magnificent from start to finish.

Butch was an extraordinary guy with fabulous ears and a magic touch.
      Way too soon, boss.
      tuhker -
      Absolutely wonderful stuff here. Thanks for sharing!
      giannisgrass -
      Perfect Christmas Gift.. Thanks Butch & Scott!
      Perry -
      Thanks. Great to hear Butch’s playing again!
      Don Grieser -
      Thanks so much. Wonderful treatment of Monroe's music by Butch and the orchestra. Butch's tone really comes through. Love it.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this feature.