• New Music from Avi Avital - Art of the Mandolin

Avi Avital - Art of the Mandolin

BERLIN — Deutsche Grammophon has announced a November 6 release for Avi Avital's Art of the Mandolin, his first recording consisting exclusively of pieces originally written for mandolin, his personal take on the best existing repertoire for the instrument, and a showcase presentation of the fullest spectrum of its expressive potential.

While a full track listing won't be revealed until a yet to be announced date in September, the label has made available a single streaming track from the album in Scarlatti: Sonata in D Minor, Kk. 89: III. Allegro (Arr. for Mandolin and Basso continuo).

Additional Information

Comments 5 Comments
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Here is the track listing for this one:

1. Vivaldi: Concerto for 2 Mandolins in G Major, RV 532 - I. Allegro
      2. Vivaldi: Concerto for 2 Mandolins in G Major, RV 532 - II. Andante
      3. Vivaldi: Concerto for 2 Mandolins in G Major, RV 532 - III. Allegro
      4. Beethoven: Adagio for Mandolin and Harpsichord in E Flat Major, WoO 43b (Transcr. for Mandolin and Harp)
      5. Bruce: "Death Is a Friend of Ours" for Mandolin, Harp, Harpsichord, Theorbo, Guitar - I. Inside the Wave
      6. Bruce: "Death Is a Friend of Ours" for Mandolin, Harp, Harpsichord, Theorbo, Guitar - II. The Death of Despair
      7. Bruce: "Death Is a Friend of Ours" for Mandolin, Harp, Harpsichord, Theorbo, Guitar - III. Death Is a Friend of Ours
      8. Sollima: Prelude for Mandolin Solo
      9. Scarlatti: Sonata in D Minor, Kk. 89 - I. Allegro (Transcr. for Mandolin and Basso continuo)
      10. Scarlatti: Sonata in D Minor, Kk. 89 - II. Grave (Transcr. for Mandolin and Basso continuo)
      11. Scarlatti: Sonata in D Minor, Kk. 89 - III. Allegro (Transcr. for Mandolin and Basso continuo)
      12. Ben-Haim: Sonata a Tre for Mandolin, Guitar, Harpsichord - I. Allegro aperto
      13. Ben-Haim: Sonata a Tre for Mandolin, Guitar, Harpsichord - II. Lentamente recitando
      14. Ben-Haim: Sonata a Tre for Mandolin, Guitar, Harpsichord - III. Lo stesso movimento
      15. Henze: Carillon, Récitatif and Masque for Mandolin, Guitar, Harp - I. Carillon. Allegretto
      16. Henze: Carillon, Récitatif and Masque for Mandolin, Guitar, Harp - II. Récitatif. Adagio
      17. Henze: Carillon, Récitatif and Masque for Mandolin, Guitar, Harp - III. Masque
      Barry Canada -
      Wonderful player! Observe his non-traditional pick hold in the graphic! I’ve been lucky to have had the opportunity to participate in workshops, masterclasses and as a player in an orchestra he conducted. One important thing I took away from these sessions was the variation of pick holds he uses. His thoughts and comments on pick holds and overall mandolin ergonometric was quite memorable and inspiring.
      Peter Coronado -
      Interesting video from composer David Bruce about the premiere of one of the pieces from the album.

DougC -
      David Bruce has a great sense of humor as well as good insights into the process.
      JeffD -
      The "Art of the Mandolin" arrived in today's mail.

This music will make you chose the mandolin all over again.