• Introducing David Grisman's Mandolin Workshop Books

David Grisman's Mandolin Workshop Books

PORT TOWNSEND, WASH. — Acoustic Disc proudly announces the publication of two new volumes of David Grisman's Mandolin Workshop, comprised of the 80 plus mandolin articles the Dawg wrote for Frets Magazine between 1979 and 1989.

The first volume, Artists & Repertoire features articles about great mandolin masters, Dave Apollon, Bill Monroe, Jethro Burns, Tiny Moore, Sam Bush, Andy Statman and many others. It also contains many transcriptions by David of their classic pieces, from "Russian Rag" to "Raw Hide."

Tricks of The Trade, the second volume, contains David's writings about mandolin technique, theory, musicianship, improvisation and compositional skills as well as performance on stage and in the studio.

Both volumes include rare photographs and ephemera from the Dawg's personal archives as well as additional supplemental material.

As David says in his introduction, "Working for Frets was an invaluable educational experience for me — and one which I'm now happy to share with you."

Additional Information

Comments 20 Comments
      AlanN -
      Wow!

FRETS was a gold mine for transcriptions, exercises, tunes by Dawg. I think this is on the buy list, fo sho!
      tkdboyd -
      I'd buy those as posters as well to hang in office, pickin parlor, etc...
      John Soper -
      I have an incomplete collection of these articles. Time to see what I missed!
      Scotter -
      After seeing those posters I keep thinking about that Monteleone F5 in the classifieds for 25K and wondering how he can be so cavalier with it.
      Paul Statman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
      After seeing those posters I keep thinking about that Monteleone F5 in the classifieds for 25K and wondering how he can be so cavalier with it.
      Not so cavalier, Scotter! That 'Dawg Tricks' pose is with a Kentucky Dawg model (one of two that he kept for himself) that he later sold to me in 1991.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Uhm, I'm calling pre-Photoshop cut and paste by the magazine layout staff vs. someone was actually photographing that.
      Scotter -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
      Not so cavalier, Scotter! That 'Dawg Tricks' pose is with a Kentucky Dawg model (one of two that he kept for himself) that he later sold to me in 1991.
      Well, that's a relief! But, now I kinda want a Kentucky Dawg model (I love my Buckeye F5 though!) for Dawg Tricks. Btw, the "Grateful Dawg" documentary is currently free on Amazon Prime.
      Aaron Woods -
      Back when "cut and paste" meant cut and paste....
      Mandolin Cafe -
      I talked to the Dawg today and he has a different story but I'll let him tell it.
      Paul Statman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      I talked to the Dawg today and he has a different story but I'll let him tell it.
      Awroit, then!
      danielpatrick -
      Take my money!!!
      musix -
      Speaking of dawg, he's on Nell & Jim's (Nell Robinson and Jim Nunally) show today, 7/15/20, 1:30 PM Pacific time with Tracy Grisman, talking things over with Jim Nunally, a past member of The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience.#https://www.nellandjim.com/live
      Today, 7/15/20, 1:30 PM Pacific time.

Best, Dix Bruce
      Paul Statman -
      Some Dawg tricks right here: One Mic, One Take

https://youtu.be/Csz2hKAjQBk
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Just got my copies. Spiral bound! These are a gold mine.
      Divers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      Just got my copies. Spiral bound! These are a gold mine.
      I just got mine. Definite gold mine. Just an awesome collection of articles and tabs.
      Mandomax -
      A+++. Outstanding. Thanks Dawg and thanks Scott for the head's up. This will keep me busy for a while!
      Jeff Hildreth -
      Ordered... and... grateful there are artists/musicians/instructors who have respect for the "musician/student/mandolin player" and present spiral bound volumes. Much thanks.
      Dawg -
      I’d like to thank all you mandolin players for the great response to these collections of my Frets columns! However thanks to an astute purchaser, I’ve realized that the last few bars of my tune “Learned Pigs & Fireproof Women” were inadvertently omitted, so we’ve corrected page 50 of “Artists & Repertoire” for the second printing. In the meantime we’re including the corrected column as an insert in the remaining copies of the first printing. For those of you who already have the books, here is a pdf of the corrected page.
      AlanN -
      Well, I've had these 2 books for a few days now, and I just love them. I had perhaps 75% of the transcriptions/articles, as I was a FRETS subscriber for a good while. but I did not have all. And didn't even know about some of them, like the transcription for Salty Dog Blues (off Home Is Where The Heart Is), the Bob(by) Applebaum tune or the Clarence Nash piece. And my order came with the extra sheet inserted for LP&FW.

Simply Marvelous. Thanks, Dawg!
      Perry -
      Fantastic; just ordered "Tricks" 'cause I need a few new ones!