• Wohlfahrt Violin Studies Arranged for Mandolin

Wohlfahrt Violin Studies Arranged for Mandolin

FENTON, MO. — Mel Bay Publications, Inc. has announced the release of Wohlfahrt Violin Studies Arranged for Mandolin in both book and eBook formats.

Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884), a violin teacher in Leipzig Germany, wrote several series of etudes including 60 Studies for Violin, Opus 45 from which this book of mandolin studies was derived. Originally composed for his own teaching purposes, over the past 100 years Wohlfahrt's etudes have become standard works for beginning violin study the world over.

Adapted for mandolin in standard notation and tablature, some violin techniques had to be altered to make these studies accessible to mandolinists. The resulting book contains progressively arranged compositional gems that include scale, tremolo, arpeggio, and position studies plus grace notes, double-stops and other techniques, all terrific sight-reading material at an intermediate to advanced level.

148 pages, perfect binding, retails for $14.99 eBook or $19.99 as hard copy.

Additional Information

Comments 2 Comments
      MandoAblyss -
      I thought these were of greatest use to us mandolinists to learn reading standard notation in all keys.

So adding TAB seems to defeat that purpose. Many (all?) editions already notate where to use 4th finger/7th fret vs. open higher string. And I think I remember that all the exercises are in first position.

I have several of the .pdfs that one may find for free download, plus a standard music store print copy, plus Pine's recent violin edition with clean typesetting and formatting with DVD and .mp3s.

I think maybe I shall not spring for a fourth edition!

But it is a great set of exercises if one is willing to put in the work. And if you want to learn standard notation fluently and don't already have a free or print copy, highly recommended!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...insit-Now-What
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Linking to this discussion on the subject in case there is information that might be of use.