• New Music from Alex Heflin - Retro

Alex Heflin - Retro

Los Angeles — Alex Heflin has announced the release of Retro, a 20-track recording on which he plays most instruments.

About the project, Heflin said, "This record is simply a compilation of instrumental covers put together over the past couple of years; songs from TV, pop culture, video games, and originals. Hopefully there's a little something for everyone in there. My original intent was to release "Back in the 90s," as it was used in the Season 5 Episode 5 end credits. Then I thought it would make sense to put together a collection of some of my favorite covers, as well as some that have been the most listened to. I ended up mixing down and remastering 20 songs. Every instrument and arrangement is played by me except for saxophone (Carlos Eiene) on "Shamburger" and "Goldenrod City" and bass (Daniel Massey) on "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "Stoplight Loosejaw."

"Some of my favorite tracks include Tom Waits' "Jockey Full of Bourbon" and my arrangement of the title theme to Rick and Morty. The most ridiculous to record was probably the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme, in which I fully transcribed Will Smith's rap. The record features a solo mandolin recording of "Movin' Out" by Billy Joel and a horn-filled arrangement of "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. Who knows what I was thinking.

"If there is any thread holding these tunes together, it is my style of arrangement and desire to endlessly explore improvisation on the mandolin. Every track heavily features the mandolin and tries to explore rhythm and harmony in fun, inventive ways. I hope folks find something interesting in here!"

Track Listing

• Title Theme (From "Rick and Morty")
    • Title Theme (From "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air")
    • Title Theme (From "Bob's Burgers")
    • Back in the 90's (From "BoJack Horseman")
    • Sea of Dreams (From "BoJack Horseman")
    • Title Theme (From "Don't Starve")
    • Spring Cleaning (From "Don't Starve")
    • Megalovania (From "Undertale")
    • Shamburger (From "Age of Empires 2")
    • Goldenrod City (From "Pokemon Gold / Silver")
    • Never Gonna Give You Up
    • Still Feel
    • Jockey Full of Bourbon
    • I Need U
    • Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
    • Stoplight Loosejaw
    • Punkrocker
    • Of the Sirens
    • So Long, Mario
    • Turtleneck Thomas

Listen

From the album, the track "Stoplight Loosejaw."

Alex Heflin Links

Comments 2 Comments
      DougC -
      Wooo Hoooo! This has got me dancing around the room. Love the rhythm. Great cut guys! Carry on!
      Mike Romkey -
      Very nice!