• Mike Compton Talks First Generation Bluegrass Mandolin Styles

Monroe Mandolin CampMonroe Mandolin Camp convenes September 18-22 at the DuBose Conference Center in Monteagle, Tenn. with Mike Compton at the helm.

The videos presented here by D'Addario and Mandolin Cafe, both camp sponsors, have Mike breaking down the style and talking about right- and left-hand techniques using the tune "Methodist Preacher."

Acting as preservationists for the innovative, original and groundbreaking music as created by Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys, who were every bit active co-collaborators in the creation of this music, Monroe Mandolin Camp offers a stylized focus on the original Americana genre called Bluegrass music.

Through their instructors, support musicians and staff, in addition to giving all participants a full immersion and hands-on in-depth learning and playing experience, Monroe Mandolin Camp continues to foster an incredible international community of folks who bring this original bluegrass music home with them, building platforms and connections for the next generation of young musicians.

Part 1

Part 2

Additional Information

Comments 18 Comments
      Denny Gies -
      Thank you Mike and Scott. Neat stuff.
      John Adrihan -
      Great stuff. Thanks
      oliverkollar -
      Really good info!

Thanks Scott and Mike.
      Beefy -
      Awesome stuff. Thanks Y’all.
      Mike Romkey -
      Wow! Thanks, Scott + Mike. You made my Tuesday. : )
      d18daddy -
      Fantastic. I feel like I could spend a lifetime getting that “slidey stuff” down. ��
      tomsain -
      That is great! I’ll be playing these videos over and over this week. Thank you!
      RFMando -
      MC is the best! -RF
      Don Grieser -
      Quote Originally Posted by d18daddy View Post
      Fantastic. I feel like I could spend a lifetime getting that “slidey stuff” down. ��
      At least a lifetime.
      Bernie Daniel -
      Loved those videos. If you have ever been to a Mike Compton camp there is sure to be a session on getting that "fiddle sound" out of the mandolin. He has gone farther then almost anyone else on that I think?
      PFeldmann -
      Mike, Good work. You may want to pay more attention to the relative volume of your voice and your mandolin.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      First anniversary of this really interesting set of videos!
      Victor Daniel -
      Excellent. Mike is a very good instructor. His explanations are clear and he shows you exactly how to position your hands and grip to get the right form. Thank you!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Published this date 2019.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this feature.
      tmsweeney -
      Great stuff from a true master, but where is the classic Compton one legged stand at the end?
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this feature.
      Don Grieser -
      Always a treat to hear Mike Compton play and talk about his approach to the mandolin. Thanks again for this.