• New Music from Andrew Marlin - Buried In a Cape

Andrew Marlin - Buried In a Cap

Andrew Marlin of the band Mandolin Orange has announced the release of his mandolin instrumental album entitled Buried In a Cape, a collection of original compositions.

Includes supporting work by Eli West (guitar, banjo), Christian Sedelmyer (fiddle), and Clint Mullican (bass).

Well known for his lyric compositions with the band Mandolin Orange, Buried In a Cape is clear evidence of Marlin's considerable skill as composer of traditional sounding instrumentals in the old-time and bluegrass vein.

Track Listing

• Buried In a Cape
    • Wooden Spoon Over By the Sink
    • Cody Road
    • Far Hills
    • Chasing My Tail
    • Poppyseed
    • Arthela's Waltz
    • Redwood
    • Under the Mulberry Tree
    • Trips Around the Sun
    • Mousetrap in the Oven
    • Toucan Play That Game
    • Life Without Coffee
    • Bats in the Belfry

Additional Information

Comments 4 Comments
      Tommcgtx -
      What a great album! Under The Mulberry Tree is my favorite track.
      Jan Skovajsa -
      Hello, may I please ask what kind and brand of mandolin Andrew used for this album?
      Many thanks in advance.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jan Skovajsa View Post
      Hello, may I please ask what kind and brand of mandolin Andrew used for this album?
      Many thanks in advance.
      According to the interview we did with him:

On Buried in a Cape, Marlin played only one mandolin, a much-loved 2000 Gilchrist tone bar F5, originally constructed for Aubrey Haynie. Marlin purchased it from Tony Williamson and says, "it felt right, especially as I was trying to go for more of a Compton kind of sound."

Andrew is now playing a Loar and the F Gilchrist he used to have has moved on and is now owned and played by Joe K. Walsh.
      Jan Skovajsa -
      Thank you very much! I missed that interview. I'm going to read it!

I bought the album from Andrew in digital a few days ago. Love it! Since the mando on the recording doesn't sound like the Lloyd Loar #75950 he has been playing from 2019 I was curious what is the instrument used. Thank you also for the wider context.

Greetings from foggy Prague, Europe,
      Jan

PS For those who are curios: more info on Andrew's incredible March 31st, 1924 Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5 Mandolin #75950
      http://www.mandolincentral.com/75950

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      According to the interview we did with him:

On Buried in a Cape, Marlin played only one mandolin, a much-loved 2000 Gilchrist tone bar F5, originally constructed for Aubrey Haynie. Marlin purchased it from Tony Williamson and says, "it felt right, especially as I was trying to go for more of a Compton kind of sound."

Andrew is now playing a Loar and the F Gilchrist he used to have has moved on and is now owned and played by Joe K. Walsh.